Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » How to manage tablespace for indexes
How to manage tablespace for indexes [message #261786] Thu, 23 August 2007 10:46 Go to next message
rookiedba
Hi there all,

I am managing tablespaces in OLAP and OLTP databases. Tablespaces for tables is manageable, as I am truncating tables (of oldest partition) in a certain table tablespace with DROP STORAGE clause to relieve of space within that tablespace. That worked just fine.

My question is regarding the tablespace for indexes. If indexes are growing in a tablespace, how do I manage them so that the tablespace do not keep growing until they reach its max limits or OS diskspace for that data file.

I tried analyzing all all indexes in a particular index tablespace but could not gain any space in the table space.

Any thoughts/suggestions/recommendations/feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

RookieDBA
Re: How to manage tablespace for indexes [message #261787 is a reply to message #261786] Thu, 23 August 2007 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rookiedba
Sorry that I forgot to mention that we have Oracle9i Standard edition.

Thanks

RookieDBA
Re: How to manage tablespace for indexes [message #261798 is a reply to message #261786] Thu, 23 August 2007 11:20 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
When you truncate table, indexes are also truncated.
If you want to get back the space to tablespace then you can rebuild the indexes which is very fast after a truncate.

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: DBMS_RCVCAT
Next Topic: Increase log Files
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 05:13:01 CDT 2024