Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Backup and recovery scenario
Backup and recovery scenario [message #260498] Mon, 20 August 2007 02:57 Go to next message
sellafrica
Hi,

If one has a cold backup of the database(the whole oracle directory is backed up on the last day of the week(sunday)) and during the week(monday) a hot backup of the database is taken,backing up datafiles,control files,password file,archive logs and init file(we are not using rman,we just put the datafile in backup mode).

If the server crashes on tuesday and we restore the cold backup,

1. Does it mean the database will be in the state it was on sunday(correct me if i am wrong)
2.How do i recover the databse to the last available hot backup taken on monday.

Thank You
Re: Backup and recovery scenario [message #260507 is a reply to message #260498] Mon, 20 August 2007 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arju

1.Yes
2. Apply archive redo log
Re: Backup and recovery scenario [message #260513 is a reply to message #260507] Mon, 20 August 2007 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sellafrica
Thanks, assuming that i will be restoring from the cold backup,at that time the database will not know that there are archive logs to apply?
Thus if i apply the logs,how will i do this will the they bring the datase to the state it was on last hot backup?
Re: Backup and recovery scenario [message #260573 is a reply to message #260513] Mon, 20 August 2007 06:06 Go to previous message
ebrian
sellafrica wrote on Mon, 20 August 2007 03:57

If one has a cold backup of the database(the whole oracle directory is backed up on the last day of the week(sunday)) and during the week(monday) a hot backup of the database is taken,backing up datafiles,control files,password file,archive logs and init file(we are not using rman,we just put the datafile in backup mode).

If the server crashes on tuesday and we restore the cold backup,

Since you've taken a hot backup on Monday, then why restore the cold from a day earlier when you have the hot backup from a day later?

sellafrica wrote on Mon, 20 August 2007 04:36
assuming that i will be restoring from the cold backup,at that time the database will not know that there are archive logs to apply?
Thus if i apply the logs,how will i do this will the they bring the datase to the state it was on last hot backup?

Oracle will know and you can even specify the archive logs to apply.
Previous Topic: Difference between main control file and backup controlfile
Next Topic: Cold backup vs hot backup
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 20:58:15 CDT 2024