Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » 10gR2 : flash recovery area backup
10gR2 : flash recovery area backup [message #260133] Fri, 17 August 2007 10:00 Go to next message
mson77
Hello ALL,
Regarding the enhancement with Oracle 10g: Flash Recovery Area
I understood that 10g will manage all the important system files in this area.

So it will be no more necessary keeping copies of backupsets as datafiles/controlfiles/archivelogfiles/spfile in other disk/media areas and one should concern his attention only in this flash_recovery_area (FRA)... is it correct?

Also can I do a backup of the FRA (as it is managed on-line by oracle)?
Regards,

mson77
Re: 10gR2 : flash recovery area backup [message #260147 is a reply to message #260133] Fri, 17 August 2007 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
Just because you specify a Flash Recovery Area (FRA) does not mean you don't need additional disk/media areas. The FRA does provide a central location where Oracle can manage files for backup and recovery, however many people will also use an additional area as a redundant backup location (ie. another disk and/or tape). To backup the FRA, you would issue BACKUP RECOVERY AREA, however this will only backup to tape.

The space in the FRA will be managed by Oracle based on the backup retention policy you have specified.
Re: 10gR2 : flash recovery area backup [message #260156 is a reply to message #260147] Fri, 17 August 2007 11:01 Go to previous message
mson77
Hello ebrian,

Thank you!
Yes... I was thinking like your note. As FRA is a new feature... one should not relay 100% to this new method only and discard the old, the traditional and the reliable backup on other medias.

Regards,

mson77
Previous Topic: Error: indx_data.dbf
Next Topic: Difference Between EM and command line
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 18:00:11 CDT 2024