Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Difference Between EM and command line
Difference Between EM and command line [message #260110] Fri, 17 August 2007 08:39 Go to next message
citrowske
I've been trying to learn the ins and outs of RMAN, so I tested a few things. The current environment is 10.2 Standard ed. on 2-node RAC, running on top of Red Hat rel 4.0.
1. I created a new DB as a catalog server and set it up properly with the rman schema etc.
2. I use the command line rman, connect to catalog, and register a target database.
3. I looked at EM and noticed that it didn't seem to pick up on the fact that I did a command-line registration. I didn't think too much of it, but I think this is clue #1 that something isn't right.
4. So I set up Enterprise Manager to use the catalog server. I did some backups using the EM, and I can see the history of the 2 backups I ran through the EM -- using the link 'backup reports'.
5. However, when I go to the command line RMAN and connect to the database, and try commands like "list backup of database;", I get nothing. I would have thought that I should be able to get the same information from the command line as I would in EM.

So am I doing something wrong?

[Updated on: Fri, 17 August 2007 09:11]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Difference Between EM and command line [message #260138 is a reply to message #260110] Fri, 17 August 2007 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
citrowske
Never mind. I figured it out.
Re: Difference Between EM and command line [message #260150 is a reply to message #260138] Fri, 17 August 2007 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
It should be nice to post what was wrong.

Regards
Michel
icon7.gif  Re: Difference Between EM and command line [message #260164 is a reply to message #260138] Fri, 17 August 2007 11:06 Go to previous message
citrowske
I sort of fixed it....but not completely

I was using the following syntax to connect:
./rman catalog rman/rman@catalog
connect target dbname

I had my environment set to the catalog database. Even though I used the "connect target dbname", it seemed to be getting information from the environment SID variable instead of the database I connected to. So once I exited, set my SID variable to the target database and then got back in, I did a backup on the command line.

The odd thing is that in EM, I was able to see a history of the backup I made at the command line. However, when I did the command line "LIST BACKUP SUMMARY" -- it only showed the command-line backup history -- not the ones done via EM. So....still not sure what's up.

Previous Topic: 10gR2 : flash recovery area backup
Next Topic: IN HOW MANY SCENARIOS DOES WE GET SNAPSHOT ERROR
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 03:12:12 CDT 2024