Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » RMAN (magically) purging old directories
RMAN (magically) purging old directories [message #258300] Fri, 10 August 2007 21:14 Go to next message
sweetness
I have a question (thanks in advance for any help).

Why is it that RMAN removes any directories in $ORACLE_BASE/flash_recovery_area/backupset and $ORACLE_BASE/flash_recovery_area/autobackup that are older than seven days? For example, today is August 10, and I see the directories 2008_08_10, 2008_08_09, ... 2008_08_04 today, but tomorrow I will see the directories 2008_08_11, 2008_08_08, ... 2008_08_05. I know that tomorrow 2008_08_11 directory will be created because my RMAN script will be called and new backups of my datafiles and archived redo logs as well as my control files and spfiles will be created and put in that directory. But why will the 2008_08_04 directory be removed?

It can't be my recovery window. It is one day, not seven.

Here is my RMAN script:

configure retention policy to recovery window of 1 days;
allocate channel for maintenance type disk;
delete noprompt obsolete device type disk;
configure controlfile autobackup on;
configure maxsetsize to 12G;
backup as compressed backupset device type disk database;
backup as compressed backupset archivelog from time 'SYSDATE-(5/2)';

Does this happen to anyone else? Is this seventh day purge behavior hard-coded into RMAN, or is there some type of configuration that the previous DBA must have set but is simply not apparent to me?

Joe
Re: RMAN (magically) purging old directories [message #258309 is a reply to message #258300] Fri, 10 August 2007 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DreamzZ
Do you have enough disk space for FRA

Quote:
Is this seventh day purge behavior hard-coded into RMAN, or is there some type of configuration that the previous DBA must have set but is simply not apparent to me?

The files in the flash recovery area can be classified as permanent or transient. The only permanent files (assuming these are configured to be stored in the flash recovery area) are multiplexed copies of the current control file and online redo logs. These cannot be deleted without causing the instance to fail. All other files are transient, because Oracle will generally eventually delete these files, at some point after they become obsolete under the retention policy or have been backed up to tape. Transient files include archived redo logs, datafile copies, control file copies, control file autobackups, and backup pieces.

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14192/setup005.htm
Re: RMAN (magically) purging old directories [message #258638 is a reply to message #258300] Mon, 13 August 2007 04:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nlevdw
Hi,

Have a look at Metalink note: 305970.1

This will explain the 'magical' deletion of your folders Smile

Kind regards

Edwin van der Weele
Re: RMAN (magically) purging old directories [message #258923 is a reply to message #258638] Mon, 13 August 2007 15:36 Go to previous message
sweetness
Edwin,

You hit the nail on the head.

Joe
Previous Topic: wat is using backup controlfile option
Next Topic: Inconsistant RMAN backup
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 20:15:45 CDT 2024