Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » exp from D:\ ~ imp to C:\
exp from D:\ ~ imp to C:\ [message #252102] Tue, 17 July 2007 20:17 Go to next message
dmurray
Hi All,
Our 8i production system's data files reside on drive D. Exporting is working fine. I need to import this dmp file into a new 10g database on a different server. This development server only has a single C:\ drive, no D:\. The import fails because it cannot find a D drive to create the data files.

Is there a way to bypass this problem without repartitioning / rebuilding the server?
I've reviewed the imp / exp docs and used the "indexfile=' parameter when using imp, but the output file didn't have any references to drive D, so nothing to edit.

thanks for your time
Re: exp from D:\ ~ imp to C:\ [message #252106 is a reply to message #252102] Tue, 17 July 2007 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>The import fails because it cannot find a D drive to create the data files.
Why do 1st time posters insist on describing what they did rather than use CUT & PASTE to show what really happened???????

If you pre-create all the needed tablespaces, then import won't attempt to create them & the import will no longer report errors about missing D:\ drive.
Re: exp from D:\ ~ imp to C:\ [message #252107 is a reply to message #252106] Tue, 17 July 2007 21:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dmurray
thanks very much. Sorry to have pissed you off. You nailed it without any output example (which wouldn't have shown anything different than I explained). thx again.
Re: exp from D:\ ~ imp to C:\ [message #252177 is a reply to message #252107] Wed, 18 July 2007 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
which wouldn't have shown anything different than I explained

But how can we know what you explained is really what happened?
What you explained is your interpretation of what happened and not really what happened.
As you post a question, this means that you don't fully understand what happens and so how to be sure that your explaination is accurate? It is likely not.
This is why copy and paste is better than explainations (but having them on top is better).

This is said as a general issue and not particularly for you and this case.

Regards
Michel
Re: exp from D:\ ~ imp to C:\ [message #252359 is a reply to message #252177] Wed, 18 July 2007 12:46 Go to previous message
dmurray
That makes sense. I most likely would have pasted the error codes / output contents if i was posting from the subject server... I didn't have it readily available. I'll make it a point to do so in the future.

Thanks again for the assistance.
Previous Topic: RMAN RETENTION POLICY FOR ORACLE8I
Next Topic: ld.so.1: rman: fatal: relocation error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 19:37:21 CDT 2024