Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » ORA-19602 during backup on closed DB (10g)
ORA-19602 during backup on closed DB (10g) [message #246656] Thu, 21 June 2007 10:02 Go to next message
Isa06
Hello

I have a RMAN backup script which runs perfectly well on a database in NOARCHIVELOG. The script first shutdowns the DB then mount it.

When I run it on another database in NOARCHIVELOG, it fails on some files with error ORA-19602
and the explanation is
"You tried to copy or backup a file that was
not closed cleanly, and the database was in NOARCHIVELOG mode.
This is not allowed because when restored, the file will require redo application before it is usable,
and redo is not currently being saved beyond the contents of the online redo logs."

I wonder how some files can remain opened while the DB is closed...
The 2 DBs are for development and I don't want to turn them to ARCHIVELOG, I just would like to understand what's going on and if I have a way to "repair" (?) these datafiles

thanks for any help
Isa
Re: ORA-19602 during backup on closed DB (10g) [message #246697 is a reply to message #246656] Thu, 21 June 2007 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
ora-19602: cannot backup or copy active file in NOARCHIVELOG mode
 *Cause:  You tried to copy or backup a file that was not closed cleanly,
          and the database was in NOARCHIVELOG mode.  This is not allowed
          because when restored, the file will require redo application
          before it is usable, and redo is not currently being saved
          beyond the contents of the online redo logs.
 *Action: Take the tablespace offline clean or close the database and retry
          the copy or backup.

The key part in your case is: You tried to copy or backup a file that was not closed cleanly.
Are you sure the script "shutdown normal" or "immediate" but not "abort" the database?

Regards
Michel
Re: ORA-19602 during backup on closed DB (10g) [message #246720 is a reply to message #246697] Thu, 21 June 2007 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DreamzZ
In addition with micheal hints and DO NOT use startup force mount.
Re: ORA-19602 during backup on closed DB (10g) [message #246833 is a reply to message #246656] Fri, 22 June 2007 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Isa06
I agree that the pb is here You tried to copy or backup a file that was not closed cleanly. !
I wonder whether those files could be damaged in a way that Oracle doesn't "see" that they are closed (??) Confused

Here is the script

CONNECT TARGET;
SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE;
STARTUP MOUNT;
DELETE OBSOLETE;
BACKUP INCREMENTAL LEVEL 0 DATABASE FILESPERSET 10;
ALTER DATABASE OPEN;

I will try to switch the logs before doing the backup...but I am not sure it will have any effect.

Isa
Re: ORA-19602 during backup on closed DB (10g) [message #246884 is a reply to message #246833] Fri, 22 June 2007 06:41 Go to previous message
Isa06
The backup was successful after the log switch...

I will monitor over a few days..
Previous Topic: Error Restore Control File
Next Topic: RMAN: DUPLICATE DATABASE to same disk group?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 19:43:58 CDT 2024