Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Image copy and Backupset Using.
Image copy and Backupset Using. [message #245548] Mon, 18 June 2007 02:05 Go to next message
Arju

What I know is that Incremental backup cant be performed by Image copy. If I have an image copy of a datafile then I can use that backup image copy as online data file of a database(using set new name+ switch). (correct me if I am wrong).

Now if I have backup set then can I use set newname +switch command of that backup set file. i.e can I make the backup set data file as online by using these two commands?

[Updated on: Mon, 18 June 2007 02:07]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Image copy and Backupset Using. [message #245708 is a reply to message #245548] Mon, 18 June 2007 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DreamzZ
Quote:
What I know is that Incremental backup cant be performed by Image copy

Yes only in 10g by enabling change tracking.

If I have an image copy of a datafile then I can use that backup image copy as online data file of a database(using set new name+ switch). (correct me if I am wrong).
yes you can and for whole database you can use this command.
RMAN> switch database to copy

Quote:
Now if I have backup set then can I use set newname +switch command of that backup set file

No need in backupset.

Quote:
i.e can I make the backup set data file as online by using these two commands?

explain
Re: Image copy and Backupset Using. [message #245823 is a reply to message #245548] Mon, 18 June 2007 22:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arju

I have backup set of a database. I want to use that. How I will do that? Dream u said no need to use switch. But my question is how control file will find which backup set I will use?
Re: Image copy and Backupset Using. [message #246024 is a reply to message #245823] Tue, 19 June 2007 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DreamzZ
Arju wrote on Mon, 18 June 2007 21:35
I have backup set of a database. I want to use that. How I will do that? Dream u said no need to use switch. But my question is how control file will find which backup set I will use?

when you take backup on rman rman write the backup information in your controlfile.if you have more than 1 backups then rman determine it from controlfile which 1 is the best and which i should use for recovery.
Re: Image copy and Backupset Using. [message #246428 is a reply to message #246024] Wed, 20 June 2007 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arju

DreamzZ wrote on Tue, 19 June 2007 21:43
Arju wrote on Mon, 18 June 2007 21:35

when you take backup on rman rman write the backup information in your controlfile.if you have more than 1 backups then rman determine it from controlfile which 1 is the best and which i should use for recovery.

Suppose I have 2 backup set. If I restore then latest one will be restored. But I want to restore the oldest one. How I will do that? Got my point?
Re: Image copy and Backupset Using. [message #246469 is a reply to message #246428] Thu, 21 June 2007 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
You can specify FROM BACKUPSET with the RESTORE command.
Re: Image copy and Backupset Using. [message #246713 is a reply to message #246469] Thu, 21 June 2007 12:03 Go to previous message
DreamzZ
Quote:
Suppose I have 2 backup set. If I restore then latest one will be restored. But I want to restore the oldest one. How I will do that? Got my point?

RMAN>BACKUP DATABASE TAG = 'FULL_BACKUP';

RMAN>RESTORE DATABASE from TAG ='FULL_BACKUP;

TAG OPTION overrides the default selection of the most recent backups or file copy available. The tag restricts the automatic selection to backup sets or file copies that have the specified tag. If multiple backup sets or file copies have a matching tag, then RMAN selects the most recent one.

[Updated on: Thu, 21 June 2007 12:03]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Export with compress=y not working?
Next Topic: I cant open my Database
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 01:09:07 CDT 2024