Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Backing up and Restoring/Recovering an Oracle 9i Database
Backing up and Restoring/Recovering an Oracle 9i Database [message #239795] Wed, 23 May 2007 05:46 Go to next message
t.summerfield
I am fairly new at this and have been tasked with managing off site backups for customer data on a 9i database.

I am carrying out a user managed backup of the following data files to the offsite data centre.

User File
USERS01.DBF

Control File
CONTROL01.CTL

Redo Log Files
REDO01.LOG
REDO02.LOG
REDO03.LOG

Index File
INDX01.DBF

SPFile
SPFILEBCS.ORA

To test the success of the back up I have created a fresh install of 9i on a new machine with the file structure replicating that of the original.

My questions are;
1) Are these all the files required to be backed up in order to carry out a restore?
2) What are the steps that I need to carry out to restore/recover the database using the above files?

Any help or ‘user friendly’ resources for beginners would be greatly appreciated

Regards
Toby
Re: Backing up and Restoring/Recovering an Oracle 9i Database [message #239908 is a reply to message #239795] Wed, 23 May 2007 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DreamzZ
You just simply replace all the files with these files and at the same location??

wheres your system tablespace file..

how many controlfiles you defined in pfile,if there are more than 1 than place the copy of this controlfile with that name.
Re: Backing up and Restoring/Recovering an Oracle 9i Database [message #240024 is a reply to message #239795] Wed, 23 May 2007 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mohammad Taj

Hi,

1) Are these all the files required to be backed up in order to carry out a restore?
Yes, All files according your source database.

1.select name from v$datafile;
2.select name from v$controlfile;
3.select member from v$logfile;
4.spfile or pfile

Above all file need to restore/recover/test your source database backup.

2) What are the steps that I need to carry out to restore/recover the database using the above files?
http://dbataj.blogspot.com/2007/03/shiftoracleserverfromonemachinetoanothe.html
Re: Backing up and Restoring/Recovering an Oracle 9i Database [message #240215 is a reply to message #240024] Thu, 24 May 2007 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
t.summerfield
Thanks Mo

Your blog article is REALLY helpful! Kudos! Much better than the oracle documentation on user-managed backup and recovery

I'm still working through, but have made great progress thanks to you. Once again, Thanks!!
Re: Backing up and Restoring/Recovering an Oracle 9i Database [message #240228 is a reply to message #240215] Thu, 24 May 2007 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mohammad Taj

Hi,
Much better than the oracle documentation on user-managed backup and recovery
No at all.

For short answer you can reference my blog but in detail you have to look for Oracle Documentation.

Regards
Taj

[Updated on: Thu, 24 May 2007 07:22]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Backing up and Restoring/Recovering an Oracle 9i Database [message #240269 is a reply to message #240228] Thu, 24 May 2007 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
t.summerfield
I agree with your comment that you can't beat the more comprehensive documentation, but your blog is very useful for someone like myself with very little experience in this area.

So referring back to your blog, I have sucessfully followed it up to step 6. I am now stumped by a problem with step 7 (opening the database), When using the command alter database open it returns the following

ERROR at line 1:
ORA-01157: cannot identify/lock data file 3 - see DBWR trace file
ORA-01110: data file 3: 'O:\BCS\INDX3.ORA'

I have tried locating the DBWR trace file, but have had no luck. Is it somewhere in the oraclehome directory under a different name?

Any help or thoughts you have on this would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Toby
Re: Backing up and Restoring/Recovering an Oracle 9i Database [message #240280 is a reply to message #240269] Thu, 24 May 2007 09:23 Go to previous message
Mohammad Taj

Hi,

All trace file generated under BDUMP,UDUMP ,CDUMP
you should check in BDUMP FOLDER.

or

you missing indx.dbf file

Regards
Taj
Previous Topic: Error restoring a cluster DB to a single node in another server
Next Topic: RMAN ACCESS ERROR
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 21:19:30 CDT 2024