Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Can RMAN specifically delete obsolete archivelogs?
Can RMAN specifically delete obsolete archivelogs? [message #237033] Fri, 11 May 2007 12:22 Go to next message
clintonf
Hi all,

Is it possible, in RMAN, to delete only obsolete archivelogs?

`REPORT obsolete` returns obsolete .dbf files first and then a whole host of archivelogs.

Windows networking and my DB application makes copying .dbf files difficult (which is why they are obsolete). I can make regular archivelog backups and network copy them to my auxiliary DB with no problems.

Of course, with time the list of obsolete archivelogs is becoming rather bloated and slowing down DB backups and duplications so I would like to delete just the obsolete archivelogs. Thus far I have been guessing at the commands and reading up on the subject has not proven fruitful.

Is it possible to just delete the obsolete archivelogs?

Thanks!
Re: Can RMAN specifically delete obsolete archivelogs? [message #237041 is a reply to message #237033] Fri, 11 May 2007 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Oracle version (4 decimals)?

Regards
Michel
Re: Can RMAN specifically delete obsolete archivelogs? [message #237043 is a reply to message #237033] Fri, 11 May 2007 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clintonf
Hi,

My Oracle version is 9.2.0.1

Thanks.
Re: Can RMAN specifically delete obsolete archivelogs? [message #238649 is a reply to message #237043] Fri, 18 May 2007 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clintonf
Hi everyone,

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks
Re: Can RMAN specifically delete obsolete archivelogs? [message #238679 is a reply to message #238649] Fri, 18 May 2007 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Why do you want to delete obsolete archivelog backup and not obsolete database backup?
What is your retention policy?

Regards
Michel
Re: Can RMAN specifically delete obsolete archivelogs? [message #239624 is a reply to message #238679] Tue, 22 May 2007 15:15 Go to previous message
clintonf
Hi there,

I want to retain obsolete .dbf's, not backups.

Currently I am using RMAN primarily to duplicate my production machine to a test machine. I can copy the archivelogs and backups across the network (with file copy)

In order to copy the .dbf's using RMAN I need to change the user that starts the Oracle service (Windows Server 2003). Unfortunately, doing so prevents users from accessing the database via the client applications.

The reason that I want to keep the obsolete .dbf's is so that I can still duplicate my database using the .dbf's with new backup files and archivelog files. At least, until I can determine how to allow access to the .dbf's across the network and Oracle.

As to retention policy, I don't have one (yet). I am still trying to determine the best parameters to use with RMAN (suggestions welcome!).

Is it possible to just delete the obsolete archivelogs?

Thanks!
Previous Topic: Hotbackup
Next Topic: Importing partition of a table to a different tablespace
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 15:41:44 CDT 2024