Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » NEED Help ASAP - Have a database file. Can I use it on different server?
NEED Help ASAP - Have a database file. Can I use it on different server? [message #233614] Thu, 26 April 2007 22:44 Go to next message
ferrethouse
Our disk corrupted but we do have access to the database file. We installed Oracle on another computer and then copied over the database file. It didn't like it. We couldn't start the database. It is not a backup. It is the actual datafile. Is there anyway to use it?

This is urgent so any help would be MUCH appreciated.
Re: NEED Help ASAP - Have a database file. Can I use it on different server? [message #233658 is a reply to message #233614] Fri, 27 April 2007 02:07 Go to previous message
Frank Naude
No, it wouldn't help just copying a single file. Some options:

1) Restore the DB to the new machine from backup. You do have backups, right?

2) Copy the entire DB (all files) to the new machine. If would be best to shutdown the DB before copying the files. If you cannot, apply archlogs until the DB is consistent again (only when running in archlog mode).

3) Use Oracle's Transportable Tablespace feature to copy the tablespace's files across.

Previous Topic: Migrating a noarchive Database of LINUX to noarchivelog mode SOLARIS
Next Topic: Backups are failing with status codes 25,41,54,58,202 and 205
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 01:52:35 CDT 2024