Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Off site backup for Oracle 10g XE
Off site backup for Oracle 10g XE [message #229418] Sat, 07 April 2007 12:12 Go to next message
websmythe
Hi,
Could any one suggest further reading on implementing off-site backups? I've read all the docs that come with XE, eg: 2 Day DBA, 2 Day Developer, Application Express and searched the Oracle documentation site, but seem to be coming up a bit thin. Ya, I can hit Google, which I'm doing... Smile I was hoping someone might be able to recommend something. Thanx.
Re: Off site backup for Oracle 10g XE [message #229420 is a reply to message #229418] Sat, 07 April 2007 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
Is XE limited to 4GB or less in DB?

If so, shutdown XE & copy all the files onto a DVD for safe keeping.

[Updated on: Sat, 07 April 2007 12:22] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Off site backup for Oracle 10g XE [message #229422 is a reply to message #229420] Sat, 07 April 2007 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
websmythe
anacedent wrote on Sat, 07 April 2007 09:21
Is XE limited to 4GB or less in DB?
Yup. I think I remember the docs saying that it allows for 4GB data + all the database/0bjects itself. (could be wrong on that.)

anacedent wrote on Sat, 07 April 2007 09:21
If so, shutdown XE & copy all the files onto a DVD for safe keeping.
Ya thought of that. I guess I should of mentioned that I'd like to do an online backup from one site to another. Ooops! (Blush) I have been wondering if it was possible to setup another instance of XE and define it as a webservice.

The 2 DBA doc says that you shouldn't run OS commands on the flash recovery folder??

Just saw a note on Rman in the forum here. I'll try reading that to start. (duh! I'll wake up some day..Smile

[Updated on: Sat, 07 April 2007 12:49]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Off site backup for Oracle 10g XE [message #229424 is a reply to message #229418] Sat, 07 April 2007 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>I guess I should of mentioned that I'd like to do an online backup from one site to another. Ooops! (Blush)
Can be done but not easily by newbie.

>The 2 DBA doc says that you shouldn't run OS commands on the flash recovery folder??
Valid advice while database is online.

>I have been wondering if it was possible to setup another instance of XE and define it as a webservice.
Anything is possible for the person who does not have to turn the idea into reality.
Have you ever actually created a functioning webservice?
Again most anything is possible with software, but again you really, really need to know what you are doing; as opposed to expecting some point & click wizard to automagically do everything for you.
I suspect I could make it work, but I'm not sure it would be worth the effort.

Your solution can be Good, Fast or Easy; pick any 2.
Re: Off site backup for Oracle 10g XE [message #229426 is a reply to message #229422] Sat, 07 April 2007 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Though i have not worked on it, Seems Oracle XE fully supports RMAN and to some extent is been integrated within XE (not sure about the duplication facilities).
>>if it was possible to setup another instance of XE and define it as a webservice.
Excuse my ignorance, i do not understant what context webservice means here.
Re: Off site backup for Oracle 10g XE [message #229427 is a reply to message #229424] Sat, 07 April 2007 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
websmythe
> Again most anything is possible with software,
> but again you really, really need to know what
> you are doing; as opposed to expecting some point
> & click wizard to automagically do everything for you.

And here I thought having written an interface for uploading credit card and pre-authorized cheque data to a bank might have given me at least some sort of experiential background for objectively determining viability of concept. Gee, I guess I was wrong. Hey whatta I know?
Re: Off site backup for Oracle 10g XE [message #229431 is a reply to message #229426] Sat, 07 April 2007 13:16 Go to previous message
websmythe
Mahesh Rajendran wrote on Sat, 07 April 2007 09:58
Though i have not worked on it, Seems Oracle XE fully supports RMAN and to some extent is been integrated within XE (not sure about the duplication facilities).
Ya. Just saw a reference to that in a post further down the page.

>>if it was possible to setup another instance of XE and define it as a webservice.
Mahesh Rajendran wrote on Sat, 07 April 2007 09:58
Excuse my ignorance, i do not understant what context webservice means here.

Context?
Previous Topic: Taking Export without Materialized Views
Next Topic: How to verify the validity of an Export dump
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 03:09:19 CDT 2024