Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » cloning file needs more recovery to be consistent
cloning file needs more recovery to be consistent [message #228542] Tue, 03 April 2007 05:58 Go to next message
laksha
Hi,
I clone a "production" database to "test" database using the cold backup of production database.

I create the controlfile using
CREATE CONTROLFILE SET DATABASE "TEST" RESETLOGS NOARCHIVELOG
startup nomount;

when i do a
alter database open resetlogs;
i get the error
ORA-01194: file 1 needs more recovery to be consistent
ORA-01110: data file 1: '/test_db1/test/db/testdata/system01.dbf'

then I need to do
recover database using backup controlfile;
and apply the online redo log files for recovery and recover the database.

when i clone from a cold backup why do i need to recover database using online redo log files? how do i overcome this.

My understanding is that when one takes the cold backup by using shutdown immediate, all the information from online redo log files is flushed to the datafiles, and thus there is no need for online redo log files from cold backup .

Thanks in advance.

Re: cloning file needs more recovery to be consistent [message #228553 is a reply to message #228542] Tue, 03 April 2007 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
This issue always pops up when the database was NOT SHUTDOWN cleanly. I would always try with SHUTDOWN NORMAL.
If you were impatient for SHUTDOWN NORMAL, go for IMMEDIATE or even ABORT.
But immediately do a STARTUP RESTRICT followed by a SHUTDOWN NORMAL
(Now all your information is flushed).

[Updated on: Tue, 03 April 2007 06:15]

Report message to a moderator

Re: cloning file needs more recovery to be consistent [message #228554 is a reply to message #228542] Tue, 03 April 2007 06:15 Go to previous message
ebrian
Without insight into all the steps you've completed, you may want to refer to this article.
Previous Topic: Primary and Standby 10g
Next Topic: Use form to database backup
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 15:31:25 CDT 2024