Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » drawbacks of extensive import/export cycles
drawbacks of extensive import/export cycles [message #223657] Sat, 10 March 2007 02:32 Go to next message
dude4084
Hi

I am doing successful exports and imports cycle between my office and home PC with the help of guidence i got from my following topic at orafaq.

http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/77391/67166/

Now as my DBA side is very weak, so i want to know the drawbacks of these import/export cycles if i use it on daily basis.
Your expert opinion is required.

Thanks.
Re: drawbacks of extensive import/export cycles [message #223664 is a reply to message #223657] Sat, 10 March 2007 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Why not continue on the same thread?
>> so i want to know the drawbacks of these import/export cycles if i use it on daily basis.
Export and Impoort is meant for moving data around.
As long as your volume stays low and your are not treating exported dumps as primary backup, you just fine.
Re: drawbacks of extensive import/export cycles [message #226526 is a reply to message #223657] Sat, 24 March 2007 12:15 Go to previous message
nmacdannald
So I guess you are truncating all tables before import? You might want to specify consistent export (parameter). Some datatypes don't do well during export/import (blob). Also some home grown functions, procedures, and views may become invalid. Just recompile them.
Mahesh Rajendran is correct. You are moving the entire database each day. And don't pretend this is your backup strategy.

Finding and recompiling invalid objects? Run catproc.sql in the $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms ?? directory. I would still check your home grown functions and procedures and recompile them manually.

[Updated on: Sat, 24 March 2007 12:17]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: flash back mechanisim in session wise?
Next Topic: Importing pocedures funcations packages triggers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 00:45:29 CDT 2024