Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » archived log file on network share?
archived log file on network share? [message #220366] Tue, 20 February 2007 07:12 Go to next message
meggens
Hi,

I would like to put a flash_recovery_area on an network share. (100Mbps), will this be fast enought to write the archive logs.

My redo logs are all 50MB in size, will the database stop until the archived redo-log file is written or is this only the case when so inactive redo log is available?

And what happens when I loose the network connection?.
I red about Specifying Mandatory and Optional Destinations for archive logging and I'm thinking about writing mandatory archive logs to the local disk and optional archived logs to the network share.

Any advise would be nice.

regards,
Martin
Re: archived log file on network share? [message #220419 is a reply to message #220366] Tue, 20 February 2007 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Having FLASH_RECOVERY_AREA in NFS is supported.
But problem is Flash recovery is considered to be an integral part of database and having it on a network will create dependencies.
If you loose the network, you may endup in trouble.
Oracle recomends to use different filesystems for redologs/archivedlogs and flash recovery (if used)
Ofcourse, if you are talking about RAC, it is a different case.
Re: archived log file on network share? [message #220430 is a reply to message #220419] Tue, 20 February 2007 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
meggens
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. What in fact I realy want is to backup to a network share. I have about 20 oracle servers and a few of them are windows the others Linux.

I would like to setup an RMAN repository on a machine with a lot of storage and backup over the network (NFS/SMB)

Oracle servers are 9 and 10 and I want an uniform backup strategie for all the servers. I know oracle 9 doesn't support a flash recovery area, would it be better not to use the flash recovery area? How about the archive logs, will network be fast enought. I played around a bit with increasing the number of redo log file groups, I think increasing the number of redo log groups should solve my problem is the network isn't fast enough.

regards,
Martin
Re: archived log file on network share? [message #220445 is a reply to message #220430] Tue, 20 February 2007 13:10 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
I prefer to have /archivelogs local. /backup could be NFS , though local is preferred. If you are looking expecting to do RMAN duplication a lot frequently, /backup and /archive on NFS is actually much handy.
Actually, RMAN repository does not require a lot of storage and as usual backing over network is known to be slower.
>>Oracle servers are 9 and 10 and I want an uniform backup strategie for all the servers.
I would rather make use of 10g features (change block feature etc) where applicable.
Apart from that, policies could be same.
Previous Topic: Importing only tables from the dump file
Next Topic: How to backup and restore RAC using RMAN?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 02 20:48:00 CDT 2024