Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » can't recognise exp
icon8.gif  can't recognise exp [message #220267] Tue, 20 February 2007 00:00 Go to next message
calculas
hi,
i m new to orafaq. i got a problem. i want to export a database. but when i m giving 'exp' from dos promt it's giving a message like this--

'exp' is not recognised as an internal or external command or operable batch file of dos.

the same thing is happening in case of 'imp'.

any body plz. guide me to solve this.

thanks in advance

calcu
Re: can't recognise exp [message #220273 is a reply to message #220267] Tue, 20 February 2007 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mohammad Taj

hi,
Are you set PATH variable. ?
if you are on WINDOWS then set PATH variable
c:\>set ORACLE_HOME=<complete home path>
c:\>set PATH=ORACLEHOME/bin

if you are on LINUX then set PATH like below
$export ORACLE_HOME=<complete oracle home path>
$export PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/bin:$PATH

regards
Taj
Re: can't recognise exp [message #220295 is a reply to message #220273] Tue, 20 February 2007 02:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Perhaps you didn't install those utilities at all?
Re: can't recognise exp [message #220297 is a reply to message #220273] Tue, 20 February 2007 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
calculas
hi,
i tried it. but the problem remains the same.actually the whole senario is my machine is a client. i want to take the dump from server which is running oracle 8i on linux. my pc has winxp.what u say i tried but still it's not working.

calcu
Re: can't recognise exp [message #220309 is a reply to message #220297] Tue, 20 February 2007 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mohammad Taj

Hi,
Can you post exact output. what you did.

regards
Taj
Re: can't recognise exp [message #220355 is a reply to message #220297] Tue, 20 February 2007 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Export utility produces a dump file which is operating system independant. It doesn't really matter which OS you run on PC, and where the database is. All you have to do is (shortly)

EXP username/password@database_alias FILE=export_file.dmp

Error you received ('exp' is not recognised as an internal or external command or operable batch file of dos) usually means that there is no such file there. Not in current (working) directory/folder, not in any of directories which are part of the PATH environment variable.

So, once again: are you sure you have installed Export utility? Can you locate it on your PC when you search for EXP.EXE? If not, install it first in order to use it.
Re: can't recognise exp [message #220548 is a reply to message #220309] Wed, 21 February 2007 04:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
calculas
hi,
yr. first assumption was right. the path was not properly set. exp is woking when i m changing the directory to
c:> cd C:\oracle\ora92\bin.
the same thing was happening to import.

once again ,thank's for your reply

calcu
Re: can't recognise exp [message #220549 is a reply to message #220355] Wed, 21 February 2007 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
calculas
hi,
u and taj r right, the path environment variable was not properly set.the problem is solved now. than's for the reply.

calcu
Re: can't recognise exp [message #220593 is a reply to message #220549] Wed, 21 February 2007 06:05 Go to previous message
Mohammad Taj

Hi,
u and taj r right, the path environment variable was not properly set.the problem is solved now. than's for the reply.

It is nice for us. your problem is solved.
but please next time DON'T use IM SPEAK.

i already done this ( im speak) mistake and i know how is difficult to understand.

so hope next time you don't use IM SPEAK.

regards
Taj
Previous Topic: How to backup and restore RAC using RMAN?
Next Topic: RMAN Backup / Recovery
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 02 09:23:14 CDT 2024