Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » How to drop asm disk groups which can't be mounted
How to drop asm disk groups which can't be mounted [message #217812] Mon, 05 February 2007 12:10 Go to next message
vijaykumarsudi

Hi i need to drop the asm diskgroups which cant be mounted.I tried to mount the diskgroups by using
SQL>alter diskgroup <diskgroup_name> mount;
its throws error messages like "DISKGROUP ALREADY TRUNCATED" or
"DISKGROUP ALREADY IN USE cant be mounted".Please is there ay command to drop a diskgroup which cant be mounted?

Thanks in advance
Vijay
Re: How to drop asm disk groups which can't be mounted [message #218207 is a reply to message #217812] Wed, 07 February 2007 05:38 Go to previous message
devika_dba
Hi Vijay,

Please find the following . Hope it helps :

Mounting and Dismounting ASM Disk Groups
Dismounting a mounted ASM disk group is performed via the ALTER DISKGROUP <disk group name> DISMOUNT; command. Its reciprocal is the MOUNT directive. See Listing 3.8 for examples of both of these commands.
Removing Disks from a Disk Group
I can issue the ALTER DISKGROUP <disk group name> DROP DISK <disk name>; command to drop a single ASM disk from an existing ASM disk group. And I can also "undrop" (i.e. cancel the pending drop) of any ASM disks that were previously assigned to ASM disk group(s) with the ALTER DISKGROUP <disk group name | ALL> UNDROP DISKS; command. However, note that once a disk drop operation completes successfully, issuing UNDROP will not recover the disks. See Listing 3.9 for examples of these two commands.
Dropping a Disk Group
Finally, I can drop an entire existing ASM disk group – along with all of its files - via the DROP DISKGROUP command. If the disk group does still contain any files besides internal ASM metadata, then I have to specify the INCLUDING CONTENTS option as well. Also, the disk group to be dropped must be mounted. ASM will first validate that none of the disk group files are open, and then remove all of the assigned ASM disks and the disk group itself from the ASM instance. ASM will also overwrite the header of each previously used ASM disk to remove any remaining ASM formatting information. Listing 3.10 shows an example of this command.
Previous Topic: shutdwon script before run coldback up script in linux
Next Topic: RMAN - Naming convetion & Retension queries
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 02 16:29:54 CDT 2024