Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » RMAN Limitations
RMAN Limitations [message #214867] Thu, 18 January 2007 05:23 Go to next message
kamalakar_ora
Hi all,

I am working for a Software firm. Where my team is developing a backup product. We are also planning to add Oracle backup using RMAN.

I have few queries about using RMAN:

Q1). Do we need to have the rights to use RMAN through our application?

Q2). If so, how can we get the rights?

q3). If not, is there any functional limitations of RMAN to backup Oracle databases?

Please help me.

Regards,
Kamal
Re: RMAN Limitations [message #214868 is a reply to message #214867] Thu, 18 January 2007 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
1. No. Not in backup. Not directly. Depends on how you use RMAN. During restore, if you mount and unmount the database, you need a sysdba account. If you are using catalog database, you need exclusive rights for ownership of repository.

3. Nothing. But you must define in your context what functional limitation is.

[Updated on: Thu, 18 January 2007 05:30]

Report message to a moderator

Re: RMAN Limitations [message #214880 is a reply to message #214867] Thu, 18 January 2007 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kamalakar_ora
Hi Mahesh,

Thanx for your response.

We are planning to support backup and recovery of Oracle 9i/10g databases with our application.

While doing this we are internally invoking RMAN to execute the scripts to perform backup and recovery on Oracle databases.

Since we are using RMAN to support the Oracle backup/recovery feature in our application, are there any functional or any other limitations to use RMAN in our application?

Functional limitations such as restricting the functionality of RMAN.

Please help me.

Regards,
Kamal.

Re: RMAN Limitations [message #214885 is a reply to message #214880] Thu, 18 January 2007 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Functionally None.
But every site has its own requirements.
>>internally invoking RMAN to execute the scripts to perform backup and recovery on Oracle databases
Which means, the scripts cannot be customized.
You will now have to write a complete wrapper over RMAN to do a lot of customization. Be prepared for that Smile
Re: RMAN Limitations [message #214887 is a reply to message #214867] Thu, 18 January 2007 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kamalakar_ora
Thanks alot Mahesh.

We hope with all you guys support we will finish it.

Thanks,
Kamal.
Re: RMAN Limitations [message #214889 is a reply to message #214867] Thu, 18 January 2007 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kamalakar_ora
Mahesh,

Can you give me the names of some third party applications which are already doing this.

If you know any of the Oracle backup products, please send me the links for free downloads.

Regards,
Kamal.
Re: RMAN Limitations [message #214890 is a reply to message #214889] Thu, 18 January 2007 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
I have no idea.
Honestly, i see no use for this.
RMAN is free.
RMAN is highly customisible/flexible and gives me a huge advantage because it is easily scriptable in OS level for scheduled jobs.
Why would I buy a third-party tool that does the same thing?
Oracle OEM has already integrated RMAN with its FULL functionality with a web-interface and can be operated with a few clicks and is free.

Re: RMAN Limitations [message #214893 is a reply to message #214867] Thu, 18 January 2007 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kamalakar_ora
Actually the idea behind this is to add this feature(Oracle backup) to the existing features of our application.

Our application is basically does the backup and keeps the user's data in a remote place(uploads to corresponding user's accounts).

Currently we are supporting the backup of the following on Windows:

1). All the normal files(closed/open files)
2). Exchange Server databases
3). SQL Server databases

In addition to the above, now we are trying to add Oracle database backup/recovery. Where in user can save his data at a remote place safely.

I agree with you that RMAN does everything. But the existing users of our product will get a choice to save their Oracle database files in a safe place through our application.

Because of the above advantage we are adding this feature to our application. Instead of directly using the RMAN to backup their data and uploading using our application, we are planning to make our application to take care of everything.

Our intension is to avoid the user involvement in knowing and executing RMAN scripts to backup or recover his databases.

Please suggest us if we are wrong.

Regards,
Kamal.
Re: RMAN Limitations [message #214894 is a reply to message #214867] Thu, 18 January 2007 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prajaraman

Dear kamal,

Just to highlight, I came across the information that, "The oracle backup solutions program (BSP) certifies third-party products are being compatible with RMAN."

More info -> http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/availability/htdocs/bsp.htm

Regards,
Raja
Re: RMAN Limitations [message #214895 is a reply to message #214893] Thu, 18 January 2007 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>>Our intension is to avoid the user involvement in knowing and executing RMAN scripts to backup or recover his databases.
That would drive me into deep paranoia Smile.
I strongly believe,
If a user does not understand backup/recovery, he/she is not supposed to do it. The person responsible for backup/recovery should be highly trained in what he/she does.
Prajaraman has kindly enlightened me with the other third party tools that already does this.
>>Please suggest us if we are wrong.
I never claimed you were wrong Smile
Just my usual overstated concerns.

Re: RMAN Limitations [message #214904 is a reply to message #214867] Thu, 18 January 2007 08:41 Go to previous message
prajaraman

Just to summarise

1) RMAN -> metadata (backup information and its media) can be in target database controlfile or you can keep in separate database (called recovery catelog). your case, target database's control file is the good option.

2) by using RMAN executables, you can create the script and run in batch mode (if it is in linux/unix -> cron is the option, if windows AT command)

3) keep the script file name .rcv extention.

Features like RMAN pipe interface is very powerfull technique, we can control the whole backup process efficiently.

example:
In daily.rcv script

run {
allocate channel t1 type sbt_tape;
allocate channel t2 type sbt_tape;
backup copy of database delete input;
backup archivelog all delete all input;
release channel t1;
release channel t2;
allocate channel d1 type disk;
allocate channel d2 type disk;
backup as copy database;
release channel d1;
release channel d2;}

1) sbt_type meaning using tape device for backup and keep the foramt as backupset which is RMAN proprietory format.

2) This script creates two channels

3) second portion in disk.

Then, schedule the script in cron job as

rman target / @'daily.rcv'

or rman target <user name>/<password>@<connection identifier> @'<pathname>/scriptname'.

This is only a scratch the surface RMAN.

As Mahesh said, it is a huge topic and sail far long.

I can give some document numbers which you can download from oracle documentation site.

b14191, b14192

Regards,
Raja
Previous Topic: how to configure rman manually to use OSB
Next Topic: Problems with Restore.sh
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 14:10:35 CDT 2024