Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » RMAN recovery scenario and clarification
RMAN recovery scenario and clarification [message #213207] Tue, 09 January 2007 17:37 Go to next message
oracle_scorpiongirl
I am very new to RMAN. I created a 2 node RAC cluster 10.2.0.3.0 in Linux and created a RMAN level 0 and leve l1 script. once level0 and level1 backups were created(in flash recovery area), I removed EVERYTHING from ASM's data group and everything(but the backups) from flash recovery area.
Did the recovery successfully by restroring spfile from autobackup,controlfile from autobackup, restore and recover database. during recover it complained abt some log number XXX in thread 2. I did 'open resetlogs' and took a level 0 backup again of the DB. The db is up and running now.
Now, I want to simulate another recovery scenario. Do a level 0 backup, create some tables and insert values and stuff, take an incremental level 1 backup, now remove everything from the data group and everything but backup from flash area. How does the recovery work? any different?
Does RMAN know which level backup to use?
DO I still do
1) restore spfile from autobackup
2) startup nomount
3) restore controlfile from autobackup
4) mount
5) restore database;
6) recover database;
7) alter database open resetlogs;
and take a full backup

Please clarify. Thanks
Re: RMAN recovery scenario and clarification [message #213210 is a reply to message #213207] Tue, 09 January 2007 18:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>> backups were created(in flash recovery area)
Better have a seperate location for backups.
>>Does RMAN know which level backup to use?
Yes.
You just doing a full restore. So RMAN will attempt to read a latest
full backup and subsequent incrementals.
Try TSPITR (point-in time restoration).
In 10g you might want to make sure the block tracking mechanisms.
Please search this forum. There are just about numerous scenarios
that were dealt. Oracle10g RMAN doc has some documented scenarios also.

>> How does the recovery work? any different?
I see no difference in the scenario here( except you are adding some data).

[Updated on: Tue, 09 January 2007 18:07]

Report message to a moderator

Re: RMAN recovery scenario and clarification [message #213326 is a reply to message #213207] Wed, 10 January 2007 05:53 Go to previous message
oracle_scorpiongirl
I was thinking about using separate location for backups. But I am not sure if I can change it now. (not that I cannot in oracle but just that it may be too late to make that decision. But I will talk about this at my place here)
I have to read up on TSPITR (point-in time restoration).
I enabled block change tracking already. Thanks a ton
Previous Topic: cold backup rstore
Next Topic: RMAN recovery question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 30 01:16:42 CDT 2024