Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Export DB from a linux system to a windows system
Export DB from a linux system to a windows system [message #211538] Fri, 29 December 2006 05:03 Go to next message
pkballa
Hello,
I have a db in a linux system which I want to export to a windows system. I think that I can shutdown the db and manually copy the data files, log files and the control files to a different location and then start the database. I am thinking of copying the files over the network to the windows system. I am not sure whether this will work. Is there any other way of doing this?

Thanks and Regards
Praveen Balla
Re: Export DB from a linux system to a windows system [message #211553 is a reply to message #211538] Fri, 29 December 2006 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>> I think that I can shutdown the db and manually copy
Between Linux and windows ? depends on your version.
option 1: export and import. If the volume of data is lesser this could work.
option 2: what is your Oracle version? if the volume is very large, then transportable tablespaces
in 10g is the best way. If both OS are same endina, you can just copy files across the network.
Else, you need to use RMAN to convert .
Re: Export DB from a linux system to a windows system [message #211615 is a reply to message #211538] Sat, 30 December 2006 00:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
desh_dba

i think if you want to export the data then both the
platform is must be same
Re: Export DB from a linux system to a windows system [message #211624 is a reply to message #211615] Sat, 30 December 2006 01:28 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>> i think if you want to export the data then both the platform is must be same
If you are talking about the Oracle export /import tool, then the platform can be anything. The sole purpose of exp/imp/expdp/impdp tools are to move the data around. The dump files created are oracle proprietary and OS independent.
Previous Topic: SYSTEM CRASH Urgent!!
Next Topic: Is it possible to only exp/imp daily changes of the db?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 22:01:04 CDT 2024