Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » SYSTEM CRASH Urgent!!
SYSTEM CRASH Urgent!! [message #211421] Thu, 28 December 2006 09:48 Go to next message
Alps
My enviroment is AIX with ORACLE 7.3.4. My system crash yesterday night and I dont know how to apply archive log. Can somebody help me how to apply redo log and even archive logs so that I dont loose much data.
thanks a lot
Re: SYSTEM CRASH Urgent!! [message #211426 is a reply to message #211421] Thu, 28 December 2006 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
I suggest your boss hire a consultant who knows how to recover the database minimize the damage.
P.S.
V7.3.4 has been obsolete & unsupported since last century.
With free advice, you get what you paid for it.
With advice, you can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick any TWO.
Re: SYSTEM CRASH Urgent!! [message #211427 is a reply to message #211426] Thu, 28 December 2006 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alps
Thanks for your suggestion. My company knows what to do and what not...This forum is for help and to get real time experience and knowledge. If you know the steps, fine you can put your steps but dont try to give suggestions not me nor anyone else.
thanks
Re: SYSTEM CRASH Urgent!! [message #211430 is a reply to message #211421] Thu, 28 December 2006 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
> My company knows what to do and what not
If this were really true, you would not be here & desperate for answers.

BEFORE making any change(s), you should take a cold backup of the system.

With this backup you can get back to where you are now, if/when the recovery is botched & the hole just got dug deeper.
You should follow your previously tested & documented recovery procedures.
Re: SYSTEM CRASH Urgent!! [message #211431 is a reply to message #211430] Thu, 28 December 2006 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alps
thanks
Re: SYSTEM CRASH Urgent!! [message #211435 is a reply to message #211431] Thu, 28 December 2006 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>> SYSTEM CRASH Urgent!!
This is what we usually rant about.
You did not use that magic word in other thread in other forum and you got a fruitful response from our good friend from Antwerp Smile.

[Updated on: Thu, 28 December 2006 11:52]

Report message to a moderator

Re: SYSTEM CRASH Urgent!! [message #211448 is a reply to message #211435] Thu, 28 December 2006 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alps
Hi Mahesh,
U know what very first thing it came in my mind was your reply...i was wondering till i got your reply ...anyways thanks for repling me
Re: SYSTEM CRASH Urgent!! [message #211454 is a reply to message #211421] Thu, 28 December 2006 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
With the possible exception of YOU, nobody reading this thread has any idea of what is actually wrong with your DB.
I've have numerous system crashes over the last two decades & almost without exception Oracle simply restarted with no loss of data.

We (TINW) have no idea what you are seeing, have seen or why you think log files can or should be applied.

What you have posted is the equivalent of me saying to an auto mechanic, my car won't go so please tell me how to replace the transmission.

Of course replacing the transmission may not get the car running again, but everyone is entitled to their illusions.
Re: SYSTEM CRASH Urgent!! [message #211462 is a reply to message #211448] Thu, 28 December 2006 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>> U know what very first thing it came in my mind was your reply...i was wondering till i got your reply
I do not understand what you are talking about as I cannot read your mind Smile
It is my personnel policy
* that not to 'echo' others. Meaning, if someone has responded already
and unless i have anything new to say about it, i will not respond.
* that not to respond if I have nothing to say good(without offending)
or atleast somewhat useful.

Without any prejudice please look again into this statement by anacedant
>> With the possible exception of YOU, nobody reading this thread has any idea of what is actually wrong with your DB.
That was really my state when i was reading your thread.
The generic answer is already available in google/documentation.
Without a specific information/logs/tracefiles/something, we cannot guess
everything (definately not with a Oracle 7.x database)

Regards~

Re: SYSTEM CRASH Urgent!! [message #211567 is a reply to message #211462] Fri, 29 December 2006 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alps
I am really sorry to provide you guys half information. Well actually because of Block corruption database crash. Now after restoring it I have done 'Recover database until Cancel' and immediately oracle showed me Media recovery complete. I dont know why it didnt ask me for redo logs. Then I have to drop the tablespace and recreate it and it worked fine for me. Now I have to go again to build the indexes for that tablespace. Is there any simple way to look how the indexes were created so that i can create all of them in short time. There are about 240 indexes.
Thanks for all your answers
Re: SYSTEM CRASH Urgent!! [message #211572 is a reply to message #211567] Fri, 29 December 2006 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>>Is there any simple way to look how the indexes were created
I do not understand the situation.
>>Then I have to drop the tablespace and recreate it and it worked fine for me
You just created a new tablespace. What happened to the data/tables/other objects?
Or did you loose only the index tablespace?
If you have an exported dump you can generate the index information from that. Else you will need to rely on your own documentation what is available.
Re: SYSTEM CRASH Urgent!! [message #211577 is a reply to message #211572] Fri, 29 December 2006 10:46 Go to previous message
Alps
yes it was index tablespace which I had to drop it and recreate it back.
Previous Topic: diff between rman and sql backtrack
Next Topic: Export DB from a linux system to a windows system
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 30 00:54:30 CDT 2024