Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » How long to keep archive logs on the server
How long to keep archive logs on the server [message #210598] Thu, 21 December 2006 08:23 Go to next message
daven
I have recently taken over a new job and noticed that the archive logs go back to 05/05/05 they are split down into 3 folders and are all there on the server.
do i need to keep them all or can i delete upto a point where i can recover to i am very new to oracle and this site has been helping me out for a couple of weeks so thank you to all
i use veritas back every night so all files are backed up through oracle agent so we have copies but at 100mb each they are taking up a lot of space now and that is every day since 05/05/05.
Thanks
Re: How long to keep archive logs on the server [message #210614 is a reply to message #210598] Thu, 21 December 2006 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
It depends on your local retention policy and how you use RMAN.
If you do Frequent TSPITR based duplication (you wont be frequently restorin Smile , having archived logs locally for about the retention period is quite worth.
Else
Just backup the database and archivedlogs and purge the old ones.
Re: How long to keep archive logs on the server [message #210619 is a reply to message #210614] Thu, 21 December 2006 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
daven
I have never used RMAN and i do not know if the guy before did or not that is how new to oracle i am i am now just reading and learning i have read about the LWGR where it gets to a certain file and then beginsover writing the first one again which looks okay but ui need to do some serious reading and practicing i have a virtual server for this and it is getting used big time.
sorry what is: TSPITR based duplication
thanks
Re: How long to keep archive logs on the server [message #210620 is a reply to message #210619] Thu, 21 December 2006 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
All you need is available in oracle documentation.
TSPITR (Tablespace point-in-time recovery) facilitates you to restore and recover a database to a particular point in time.
Duplication with RMAN is the process where you duplicate/clone the target database (one that is backed up) to a clone database (local or remote).
You can duplicate the target (say PROD) to clone (say TEST) with respect to some point in PAST TIME.
For example, I have a completly automated script that would let the developers to get the data to their TEST from PROD as of upto 3 days before (say, as of DEC 18 2006 14:23:00).
In this case, having those archived logs locally will help a little. Even if these logs are not available, I have backupsets(datafiles + archivedlogs) worth for last 4 days locally available. But getting information from archived logs is faster.
Hope i am clear. If you are confused, you are on the right track Smile.
All information is available in RMAN documentation. If you are new to oracle, first start with server concepts,then adminstrators guide and then look into Backup and recovery.

[Updated on: Thu, 21 December 2006 09:53]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How long to keep archive logs on the server [message #210622 is a reply to message #210620] Thu, 21 December 2006 09:56 Go to previous message
daven
Thanks mahesh
you have been helpful and i have a lot to learn.

Previous Topic: Clone database continues to give me this error
Next Topic: RMAN did not back up all Archive Logs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 22:33:42 CDT 2024