Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Doubt regarding Standby Database Creation
Doubt regarding Standby Database Creation [message #204555] Tue, 21 November 2006 04:25 Go to next message
sarfraz_attari
Dear all

I have one doubt regarding standby database creation, Let us suppose I have Primary database with Archivelog Enabled and I took a backup of Primary database to create a Standby database on different host , Is it necassary that on standby Database too i need to enabled Archive log .

can I keep Archive log off in standby database

Thanks

Sarfraz
Re: Doubt regarding Standby Database Creation [message #204605 is a reply to message #204555] Tue, 21 November 2006 06:29 Go to previous message
Mohammad Taj

Hi Sarfraz,

go through below link it will help you.
http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14239/create_ps.htm

Physical Standby Databases
A physical standby database is physically identical to the primary database. While the primary database is open and active, a physical standby database is either performing recovery (by applying logs), or open for reporting access. A physical standby database can be queried read only when not performing recovery while the production database continues to ship redo data to the physical standby site.

Physical standby on disk database structures must be identical to the primary database on a block-for-block basis, because a recovery operation applies changes block-for-block using the physical rowid. The database schema, including indexes, must be the same, and the database cannot be opened (other than for read-only access). If opened, the physical standby database will have different rowids, making continued recovery impossible.

can I keep Archive log off in standby database

Yes

Hope this helps
Taj
Previous Topic: Recovery from a different location rather than from backup location
Next Topic: is it possible
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 02 12:52:15 CDT 2024