Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Backup Strategy
Backup Strategy [message #203791] Thu, 16 November 2006 05:55 Go to next message
Brayan
Hi ,

I need your expert advice for the following....

I'm having a Datawarehouse DB, at present it is around 250GB. Within a year the estimated size might shoot upto 1600GB. The database is not archived.

We do not have RMAN.
At present following are the backup
1. Cold backup at weekends,
2. Export backup everyday except weekends.

Going further export backup may not be the solution because the size is too big.

Please give me your suggestion/idea.

Thanking you.
Brian.
Re: Backup Strategy [message #203808 is a reply to message #203791] Thu, 16 November 2006 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>> The database is not archived.
I smell trouble.
If the database is somewhat worth, you need it to be in archivedlog mode.

You must really look into hot incremental backup methods.
I prefer RMAN for the obvious features and it is free.
>> 1. Cold backup at weekends,
Say, after a week of work, if you lost some data on friday, you can go back only to
the last weekend full backup and loose all data in between.
So Obviously your backup makes no sense ( again, if this database is somewhat worth).

>>Going further export backup may not be the solution
Fact is exporting is not backup solution even you have a small database.
export/import is meant for moving the data around or to take a snapshot (with consistent=y).
It is like a backup but not a backup.

[Updated on: Thu, 16 November 2006 10:17]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Backup Strategy [message #203810 is a reply to message #203791] Thu, 16 November 2006 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
My opinions are biased and i am for RMAN.
Especially RMAN 10g is way cool. With the block changing feature enabled i am now backing my new 700Gb database (growing at 40gb/week/partitioned and after 2 TB the older partitions are archived) incrementally within 20 minutes(to be precise, this time will depend on the transactions). The backupsets are compressed ( and soon to be encrypted ).
Above all, I use RMAN to migrate databases between OS.
If there is any other tool that can do all this for free, i am definitely willing to give a try.Smile

[Updated on: Thu, 16 November 2006 07:32]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Backup Strategy [message #203835 is a reply to message #203791] Thu, 16 November 2006 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brayan
Hi Mahesh,

My Solution Architecture team informed me that RMAN License to be purchased separately!!!

Oops, If so even I prefer RMAN and I've worked on it.

Brian.
Re: Backup Strategy [message #203842 is a reply to message #203835] Thu, 16 November 2006 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
That is a lie.
I did not even look up into the licensing docs/metalink.
Just googled.
http://www.idevelopment.info/data/Oracle/DBA_tips/RMAN_9i/RMAN9_1.shtml
 RMAN is a feature that is automatically included with the database - no separate installation or license is necessary.

The features available within RMAN may vary between Enterprise Edition and Standard Edition. But RMAN does not need a seperate license.
Re: Backup Strategy [message #203848 is a reply to message #203842] Thu, 16 November 2006 10:01 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
And crosschecked with the docs & metalink. No seperate license for RMAN.
You would want a seperate license with the MML agent if you want RMAN to write into tapes directly (That is a different case). Still you can backup to disk and use your Tape archiving tool to archiving from disk.
Previous Topic: RMAN Backup failed - RMAN-06059 error
Next Topic: impbp question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 02 19:43:29 CDT 2024