Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » rman configuration issue
rman configuration issue [message #198803] Wed, 18 October 2006 10:51 Go to next message
alanm

hello all,
I have a customer running 9ir2 database and using the controlfile for backup.

the customer has limited disk space and can only store 2 days worth of rman backup sets. The other issue is that he is using standard edition and is manually shipping logs to a DR box. The customer would like to keep archive logs from the production database for 14 days on disk but only 2 days worth of backup sets.
I have set a redundancy policy of 1 which when run removes old rman backup sets, but also archive.

If I was to use
backup keep until time 'SYSDATE+14' ARCHIVELOG ALL;

in the same script as my main rman backup would that work.

are the two options mutually exclusive?

regards

Alan

Re: rman configuration issue [message #198824 is a reply to message #198803] Wed, 18 October 2006 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mohammad Taj

I have set a redundancy policy of 1 which when run removes old rman backup sets, but also archive.

Redundancy policy not delete any bkp. it will keep n bkp set for recovery.

Backup Redundancy
A redundancy-based retention policy specifies how many backups of each datafile must be retained. For example, you can specify:

CONFIGURE RETENTION POLICY TO REDUNDANCY 2;

Recovery Window
A recovery window is a period of time that begins with the current time and extends backward in time to the point of recoverability. The point of recoverability is the earliest time for a hypothetical point-in-time recovery, that is, the earliest point to which you can recover following a media failure. For example, if you implement a recovery window of one week, then this window of time must extend back exactly seven days from the present so that you can restore a backup and recover it to this point. You implement this retention policy as follows:

CONFIGURE RETENTION POLICY TO RECOVERY WINDOW OF 7 DAYS;

Re: rman configuration issue [message #198932 is a reply to message #198803] Thu, 19 October 2006 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alanm

sorry but that hasn't answered the question.
I want to be able to keep a rolling 14 days worth of archive logs on disk yet I want RMAN to have a redundancy policy of 1.

Can anyone let me nkow if this is possible. I thought of the following

BACKUP ARCHIVELOG ALL UNTIL TIME 'SYSDATE-14' DELETE INPUT

and then

delete force noprompt obsolete redundancy = 1 device type disk;

The customer does not have a test environment to test this out on.

regards

Re: rman configuration issue [message #198942 is a reply to message #198932] Thu, 19 October 2006 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
The RETENTION policy will manage your backupsets and your archive logs on the filesystem.

Your backup command could simply be 'BACKUP DATABASE PLUS ARCHIVELOG'. If you set your retention policy to REDUNDANCY of 1, then you can simply issue DELETE OBSOLETE to manage your backupsets and archivelogs.

With the "dual" retention policy that you need to maintain, the only option I see would be to copy the archive logs to a separate directory whereby you have a cronjob that maintains 'sysdate-14' worth of archive logs.

[Updated on: Thu, 19 October 2006 06:15]

Report message to a moderator

Re: rman configuration issue [message #198950 is a reply to message #198803] Thu, 19 October 2006 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alanm

hi,
thanks for the reply. So I am guessing then that the archives will not appear in the obsolete list if I issue a report obsolete?

this is taken from my customer site

this is the rman script that the customer has in place
connect target /
CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP ON;
CONFIGURE BACKUP OPTIMIZATION ON;

crosscheck archivelog all;
delete expired archivelog all;
delete force noprompt archivelog all completed before 'sysdate-14';

delete force noprompt obsolete redundancy = 1 device type disk;

sql "alter system checkpoint";
run {
allocate channel Channel1 type disk format '/u05/rman/$ORACLE_SID/$ORACLE_SID_RMAN_%u_%p_%c';
setlimit channel Channel1 kbytes 4000000;
backup database include current controlfile plus archivelog;
release channel Channel1;
}

how ever when I issue report obsolete

RMAN> report obsolete;

using target database controlfile instead of recovery catalog
RMAN retention policy will be applied to the command
RMAN retention policy is set to redundancy 1

apart from the backup pieces I also see the archives

so will a delete obsolete remove the archives too?
Re: rman configuration issue [message #198959 is a reply to message #198950] Thu, 19 October 2006 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
Sorry, was a little confused with the requirements. I modified my post above to reflect this.

With the script that you posted, you can remove:

delete force noprompt archivelog all completed before 'sysdate-14';

and since you have CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP ON you can could actually modify your backup command to simply:

backup database plus archivelog;

Re: rman configuration issue [message #198984 is a reply to message #198803] Thu, 19 October 2006 09:09 Go to previous message
alanm

hi,
Thanks for that answer. That is I believe the way the customer will have to go.

cheers
Previous Topic: automate import dumpfile
Next Topic: Backup Error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 08 11:09:17 CDT 2024