Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » RMAN can't find redo logs in recovery catalog  () 1 Vote
RMAN can't find redo logs in recovery catalog [message #197817] Thu, 12 October 2006 16:24 Go to next message
clintonf
Hi all,

I need assistance duplicating my Oracle 9i release 2 database, specifically, adding the redo logs to the recovery catalog.

I have been able to add the target (the "TO") database to the recovery catalog.

When I first issued "duplicate database" I received the following error:

Starting Duplicate Db at 12-OCT-06
using channel ORA_AUX_DISK_1
RMAN-00571: ===============================
RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS 
RMAN-00571: ===============================================
RMAN-03002: failure of Duplicate Db command at 10/12/2006 13:26:40
RMAN-05501: aborting duplication of target database
RMAN-05001: auxiliary filename F:\ORACLE\ORADATA\MY_DB\DATA\DDIX01.DBF conflicts with a file used by the target database
RMAN-05001: auxiliary filename F:\ORACLE\ORADATA\MY_DB\DATA\DDI01.DBF conflicts with a file used by the target database

Many other files were included but I have only specified two. I corrected this with the following command:

RMAN> configure auxname for datafile 'F:\ORACLE\ORADATA\MYDB\data\cattbs.ora' to  'c:\oracle\oradata\sandbox\cattbs.ora';

This was successful. My problem was on adding the redo log files like this. I get the following error:

RMAN> configure auxname for datafile 'F:\ORACLE\ORADATA\MYDB\REDOLOG\REDO4A.LOG' to 'c:\oracle\oradata\sandbox\REDOLOG\REDO4A.LOG';

RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===============
RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-03002: failure of configure command at 10/12/2006 14:09:56
RMAN-20201: datafile not found in the recovery catalog
RMAN-06010: error while looking up datafile: F:\ORACLE\ORADATA\MYDB\REDOLOG\REDO4A.LOG

I am unsure how to add this file to the recovery catalog. I have read that archive logs can be added. I tried this command with the redo logs and was successful (I think) but was still unable to configure and auxname for it. Google searches don't turn up much by way of advice.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Re: RMAN can't find redo logs in recovery catalog [message #197821 is a reply to message #197817] Thu, 12 October 2006 16:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
All you need is documented here.
http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96566/rcmdupdb.htm#441628

Quote:

>>RMAN> configure auxname for datafile 'F:\ORACLE\ORADATA\MYDB\REDOLOG\REDO4A.LOG' to 'c:\oracle\oradata\sandbox\REDOLOG\REDO4A.LOG';

You need not do this. REDOLOGS are never backed up. Create them on the fly~!.
Instead, use.

duplicate target database to your_duplicate_database
PFILE = /yourpfile
LOGFILE
  group 1 ('/yourlogfilepath/redo1_1a',
           '/yourlogfilepath/redo1_1b')  size 128M reuse,
  group 2 ('/yourlogfilepath/redo1_2a',
           '/yourlogfilepath/redo1_2b')  size 128M reuse,
  group 3 ('/yourlogfilepath/redo1_3a',
           '/yourlogfilepath/redo1_3b')  size 128M reuse;
}

And you really want to script this (instead of manually renaming the datafiles). Else you might accidentally overwrite something.
You can easily write a script that generates/spools a file, say rename_files.lst that has contents like this

set newname for datafile 1 to '/newpath/system';
... Simarlarly  for all other files

And call this file just before DUPLICATE.

@/somepath/rename_files.lst
duplicate .... 
rest_of_the_business;
Re: RMAN can't find redo logs in recovery catalog [message #197990 is a reply to message #197821] Fri, 13 October 2006 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clintonf
Hi Manesh,

Thanks for your excellent assistance; you have been a great help.
The duplicate is now giving me the following error though:

RMAN-00569: ============ ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ======
RMAN-03002: failure of Duplicate Db command at 10/13/2006 08:52:18
RMAN-03015: error occurred in stored script Memory Script
ORA-19505: failed to identify file "E:\RMAN_BACKUP\05HVLTNR_1_1"
ORA-27041: unable to open file
OSD-04002: unable to open file
O/S-Error: (OS 3) The system cannot find the path specified.

Prior to this I had duplicated the database with the following command with the following output:
RMAN> BACKUP DATABASE FORMAT 'e:\rman_backup\%U';
piece handle=E:\RMAN_BACKUP\05HVLTNR_1_1 comment=NONE

Any ideas of what's happening here? E:\RMAN_BACKUP\05HVLTNR_1_1 is the only file in that directory and was created when I backed up the database.

Do I need to add that file via the 'configure auxname' command?

Thanks again.
Re: RMAN can't find redo logs in recovery catalog [message #197999 is a reply to message #197990] Fri, 13 October 2006 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
If you are intending to use RMAN extensively for duplication and other business,
Look into scripting all the activities.
Operations like this, should be scripted instead of individual commands (Just for maintaining consistency).

>>BACKUP DATABASE FORMAT 'e:\rman_backup\%U';

Try a duplication script something like this (### is my comments).

rman  msglog '/backup/rmanscr/logs/duplicate_prod_test.log' <<EOF ### EOF is unix thing. You can ignore this.
connect target sys/sys@prod                            ### source database that is about to be duplicated
connect catalog rman/rman@rmandb                  ### Rman user. i use seperate users for backup/restore and duplication.
connect auxiliary  sys/sys 		                ###  Target database that would be the cloned database. Make ORACLE_SID is properly set to duplicate database
run {
allocate channel ch1 type disk;                          ### Upto you. depends on your available resources.
allocate channel chn type disk;
ALLOCATE AUXILIARY CHANNEL aux1 DEVICE TYPE DISK;  ### again, upto you.
ALLOCATE AUXILIARY CHANNEL aux2 DEVICE TYPE DISK;
ALLOCATE AUXILIARY CHANNEL aux3 DEVICE TYPE DISK;
set until time "to_date('$dat','MON DD YYYY HH24:MI:SS')";  ### for TSPITR. You do need this for a full restore
@/xxxx/rename_files.lst
duplicate target database to your_duplicate_database
PFILE = /.../initpfile_foryour_duplicateDataabse.ora
LOGFILE
  group 1 ('/yourredolofilepath/redo1_1a',
           '/yourredolofilepath/redo1_1b')  size 128M reuse,
  group 2 ('/yourredolofilepath/redo1_2a',
           '/yourredolofilepath/redo1_2b')  size 128M reuse,
  group 3 ('/yourredolofilepath/redo1_3a',
           '/yourredolofilepath/redo1_3b')  size 128M reuse;
}
exit;
EOF

Now coming to the problems in this case,
>>ORA-19505: failed to identify file "E:\RMAN_BACKUP\05HVLTNR_1_1"
>>ORA-27041: unable to open file
>>OSD-04002: unable to open file
>>O/S-Error: (OS 3) The system cannot find the path specified.

Are you trying to duplicate from one node/host to another?
If so, Make sure those files are 'visible' to other node as if it is a local drive. ie, share the drive.

you have also stated something that is confusing me.
Quote:

>>Prior to this I had duplicated the database with the following command with the following output:

>>RMAN> BACKUP DATABASE FORMAT 'e:\rman_backup\%U';
>>....
>>piece handle=E:\RMAN_BACKUP\05HVLTNR_1_1 comment=NONE

You did a backup. NOT a duplication.
or
did you really meant that, you were able to duplicate the database successfully before?
In that case, you need register the RMAN user back to the primary/source database.

After duplication, the rman user will be 'seeing' the duplicated database instead of the primary/source database.
Unregister the user from duplicate and register back to primary.
For this same purpose, i use seperate users for backup/restore/duplicate.
RMAN user backupSource will always backup and all other will synched to those backupsets (all done in scripting).
So, RMAN user duplicateSource will be seeing PROD backupsets. After duplication RMAN user Duplicatesource will be seeing only the duplicated source. Synch it back to prod (script all these).

[Updated on: Fri, 13 October 2006 13:25]

Report message to a moderator

Re: RMAN can't find redo logs in recovery catalog [message #198010 is a reply to message #197999] Fri, 13 October 2006 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clintonf
Hi Manesh,

I am trying to duplicate a database from one host(DB) to another(SANDBOX).

DB's E: is a mapped network drive on SANDBOX (mapped to E:). The share is successful (I can get a directory of the share and the subdirectory).

As for scripting, my preference is to get the duplication working command-by-command first so that I can monitor the process. I will be sure to script the process once I have it working.

As you've already figured out my OS is Windows (Server 2003 for DB and XP Pro for SANDBOX). I'm not sure if that is relevant or not.

I made a typo in my earlier post. I have NOT managed to duplicate the database yet. I was able to back it up with rman. I'm not sure why rman is unable to view the share.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Re: RMAN can't find redo logs in recovery catalog [message #198013 is a reply to message #198010] Fri, 13 October 2006 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>> As you've already figured out my OS is Windows (Server 2003 for DB and XP Pro for SANDBOX). I'm not sure if that is relevant or not.
I am myself not an windows user and have no first hand experience on this.
But there are many known issues with mapping drives in windows (apart from 2003/XPPro).
But even before digging into them,
I suggest to startover again.
Take a fresh backup.
synch the catalog.
See whether rman user is seeing those backups.
See whether you can physically see those backupset from both the nodes
Try the duplication.
By the way, do you have an metalink account? There is specific doc that deals on issues with windows mapping and RMAN
Re: RMAN can't find redo logs in recovery catalog [message #198335 is a reply to message #198013] Mon, 16 October 2006 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clintonf
Hi Manesh,

I tried your suggestion of a fresh backup, but was given the following error:

RMAN> BACKUP DATABASE FORMAT 'e:\rman_backup\%U';
using channel ORA_DISK_1
channel ORA_DISK_1: starting full datafile backupset
channel ORA_DISK_1: specifying datafile(s) in backupset
including current SPFILE in backupset
including current controlfile in backupset
input datafile fno=00013 name=F:\<PATH>\<FILENAME>
input datafile fno=00002 name=F:\<PATH>\<FILENAME_2>
channel ORA_DISK_1: starting piece 1 at 16-OCT-06
RMAN-00569: ======= ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===========
RMAN-03009: failure of backup command on ORA_DISK_1 channel at 10/16/2006 09:55:22
ORA-00600: internal error code, arguments: [ksuloget4], [], [], [], [], [], [], []

I tried clearing all auxname parameters and deleting the existing backup. But I still get this error.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your continued help. It's much appreciated.

[Updated on: Mon, 16 October 2006 12:59]

Re: RMAN can't find redo logs in recovery catalog [message #198354 is a reply to message #198335] Mon, 16 October 2006 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Known bug.
Restart the instance and try again.
Else we have to do tweak some parameters( which is not really a good thing in this case).
If this is a consistent case, look for bugno 3123232 in metalink and do whatever is recomended.

Regards
Re: RMAN can't find redo logs in recovery catalog [message #198367 is a reply to message #198354] Mon, 16 October 2006 18:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clintonf
Hi Manesh,

Still no luck duplicating the database; my old method resulted in the same error on the piece file.

Using a forum posting that mirrored what you said I was able to re-backup the database.

I've been doing some more reading and I have a few things that I want to try. Your opinion would be appreciated. I also have some questions about each option:

1) OS-made copies of the datafiles and archive logs on the duplicate DB.
* How do I tell rman to use these datafiles (use auxname configure?)
* How do I tell rman to use these archive logs?

2) Map the shares according to Oracle's Metalink document ID 145843.1 regarding network shares Windows and use those shared files.

3) Use auxname config with the piece file.

Lastly I've been reading that the archive logs need to be readable by rman. What configuration is used to specify the archive log location(s)?

Thanks Manesh.
Re: RMAN can't find redo logs in recovery catalog [message #198598 is a reply to message #198367] Tue, 17 October 2006 21:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>> * How do I tell rman to use these datafiles (use auxname configure?)
http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14191/rcmdupdb002.htm#sthref1252
>> * How do I tell rman to use these archive logs?
Share the archivelog directory ( like backup directory).

Seems you have some problem in mapping the files.
If that does not work,
just copy the archived logs and backup to the other host (where duplicate database resides).
Create a similar directory for backup and archivedlog.
Proceed with duplication.

May be i will setup a complete working case for you ( but not on windows. I have no windows machine around )
Re: RMAN can't find redo logs in recovery catalog [message #198843 is a reply to message #198598] Wed, 18 October 2006 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clintonf
What if I copied that backup piece, E:\RMAN_BACKUP\0CHVVUOR_1_1, to a place on the duplicate's local filesystem?

That is the file that rman cannot locate so maybe putting it local will help?

How would I tell rman to look for the backup piece? It's not a datafile, so I don't think I could use the `configure auxname` or `set newname` commands, could I?

Similarly, how would I tell rman that the archive logs are now local?

...frustrated, but keeping positive.

Thanks
Re: RMAN can't find redo logs in recovery catalog [message #198866 is a reply to message #198843] Wed, 18 October 2006 21:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
That is what i said before.
Just copy those backups and archivedlogs to a local similar filesytem.
set new name should work.
>> Similarly, how would I tell rman that the archive logs are now local?
Nothing.
RMAN understands that.
You are asking the TARGET datbase (prod) to be duplicated to test.
RMAN will all information of PROD (backup location,archivelog etc) from recovery catalog. If the prod/test are in different boxes, we need to map those /backup and /archive or copy the files across.
Re: RMAN can't find redo logs in recovery catalog [message #198869 is a reply to message #198866] Wed, 18 October 2006 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
the script i posted on message #197999 is a real time working script (on 9i). I should work the same in 10g.
Just do the same, manually , step-by-step.
Re: RMAN can't find redo logs in recovery catalog [message #199007 is a reply to message #198869] Thu, 19 October 2006 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Ok.
I was able to duplicate 10gR2 instance ( on linux, same box. In windows if you can map files/copy files it should work the same).
The said script worked the same. Only difference is in 10gR2, tempfile information is stored in Recovery Catalog. So you
need to do a "set newname" for tempfiles too.
This is a completely automated script. I will need to add comments into this, which seems to be a tedious work than writing the script itself. Smile
All you need to do is, just do the same thingies, step-by-step manually.
I will keep you posted.
Re: RMAN can't find redo logs in recovery catalog [message #199029 is a reply to message #199007] Thu, 19 October 2006 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Here those scripts i used.
There might be a few typos (i edited the script later to format it).

First one is a pre_duplicate script, which will prepare the RMAN (or us, the users Razz ) for the duplication.
Second is the actual duplication process.
Again, it looks lengthy. actually it is not that complicated.
I can even upload the logfile for this whole process ( if that helps anything for you) from which you can see all the internal processing.
As you can see, if you can map the files across the network everything is all set.
location of /archive and /backup is all understood by rman from catalog.
Setting up environment is the only painful part.
1.  #
2.  ## this is PRE script. Just preparing for a duplication process.
3.  ## It looks lengthy. But a very simple stuff.
4.  #
5.  #!/bin/bash							
6.  export ORACLE_SID=secondary				#SID for duplicate database
7.  export ORACLE_BASE=/u01/base                                    	#Oracle base  
8.  export ORACLE_HOME=/u01/home                                    	#oracle home 
9.  export NLS_DATE_FORMAT='MON DD YYYY HH24:MI:SS'           #this date format is must for TSPITR (may be not in 10g. I have not yet checked)  
10. echo '************************'			#I am using seperate users to backup/restore and clone.	
11. echo ' UNREGISTERING C_SECONDARY    '                           	#C_secondary is the user used to clone the database PRIMARY to SECONDARY
12. echo '************************'                                 #after a successul clone, C_SECONDARY will be looking into duplicate database. 
13. sqlplus -s c_secondary/rman@rmandb <<EOF		#I need to unregister from duplicate and register back to PRIMARY.
14. 	set feed on;                                              		#lines 9-34 will do the same.
15. 	set feed on;
16. 	set serveroutput on;
17. 	prompt
18. 	declare
19. 		key rc_database.db_key%type;
20. 		dbid rc_database.dbid%type;
21. 	begin
22. 	select db_key,dbid into key,dbid from rc_database;
23. 	dbms_output.put_line('dbms_rcvcat.unregisterdatabase('||key||','||dbid||');');
24. 	dbms_rcvcat.unregisterdatabase(key,dbid);
25. 	end;
26. 	/
27. exit;
28. EOF
29. #
30. date
31. #
32. echo '*****************************'
33. echo  REGISTERING C_secondary to primary
34. echo '*****************************'
35. rman target sys/sys@primary rcvcat c_secondary/rman@rmandb <<EOF
36. 	register database;
37. exit;
38. EOF
39. echo '*******************************'             	#I am renaming the files for duplication
40. echo ' Renaming the files for secondary '                       	#In source database PRIMARY datafiles are resding in /u02/oradata/primary 
41. echo '*******************************'                    #I wanted the datafiles for SECONDARY to reside on /secondary
42. sqlplus -s c_secondary/rman@rmandb <<EOF                        	#get the info, just a replace would do the job on the fly
43.  	set heading off;					#spool the output and call it later during DUPLICATION
44. 	set feedback off;					#A subtle change in 10g. Tempfile information is now recorded in catalog.
45. 	set echo off;					#we need to take care of that.	
46. 	set verify off;					#lines 35-57 does all this	
47. 	set termout off;
48. 	set trimspool on;
49. 	set pagesize 3000;
50. 	spool /backup/rmanscr/secondary/rename_secondary.lst;
51.	select 'set newname for datafile '||file#||' to '''||replace(name,'/u02/oradata/primary/','/secondary/') ||''';' 
52. 	from rc_datafile where db_name='PRIMARY';
53. 	select 'set newname for tempfile '||file#||' to '''||replace(name,'/u02/oradata/primary/','/secondary/') ||''';' 
54.	 from rc_tempfile where db_name='PRIMARY';
55. 	spool off;
56. exit;
57. EOF
58. #
59. echo '**********************************'		#duplication should be done in nomount stage.
60. echo 'Bring secondary to NOMOUNT stage'                         	#i already have a seperate copy of initpfile in a location. 
61. echo '**********************************'
62. sqlplus "sys/sys@secondary as sysdba" <<EOF 
63. 	shutdown abort;
64. 	startup nomount pfile='/backup/rmanscr/secondary/initsecondary.ora';
65. exit;
66. EOF
67. echo
68. echo
69. echo '******************************************************************'
70. echo '          completed pre_duplicate_prod_secondary			'
71. echo '          check whether ORACLE_SID=secondary     			'
72. echo '          run duplicate_primary_secondary				'
73. echo '******************************************************************'

Other script:

1.  #
2.  ####This is the actual duplication script
3.  #!/bin/bash
4.  export ORACLE_SID=secondary				
5.  export ORACLE_BASE=/u01/base
6.  export ORACLE_HOME=/u01/home
7.  export NLS_DATE_FORMAT='MON DD YYYY HH24:MI:SS'				#When executed from unix command line, this line will prompt for
8.  export SERVER=`uname -n`							#timstamp. RMAN will perform a TSPITR based duplication until a point in time specified here.
9.  echo "Please enter the time in the format - MON DD YYYY HH24:MI:SS
10. For Example : AUG 20 2006 09:00:00
11. Please enter the time: \c"
12. read dat
13. rman target sys/sys@primary rcvcat c_secondary/rman@rmandb <<EOF                	#Just a resync to make sure C_SECONDARY is seeing all latest backupsets.
14. 	resync catalog;
15. exit;
16. EOF
17. rman  msglog '/backup/rmanscr/logs/duplicate_primary_secondary.log' <<EOF      		#A logfile duplicate_primary_secondary.log is created where all information is redirected (from display).
18. 	connect target sys/sys@primary						#Connect to target database which is about to be duplicated	
19. 	connect catalog c_secondary/rman@rmandb					#connect to catalog
20. 	connect auxiliary  sys/sys							#Connect to AUXILLARY instance (duplicate instance) that is identified by line-4
21. 	run {									#Allocating channels. Number of channels is upto you.  More than one channel is preferred.
22. 	allocate channel ch1 type disk;
23. 	allocate channel ch2 type disk;
24. 	allocate channel ch3 type disk;
25. 	allocate channel ch4 type disk;
26. 	allocate channel ch5 type disk;
27. 	allocate channel ch6 type disk;
28. 	ALLOCATE AUXILIARY CHANNEL aux1 DEVICE TYPE DISK;				#Allocation some aux channels. Again, number of channels, upto you.
29. 	ALLOCATE AUXILIARY CHANNEL aux2 DEVICE TYPE DISK;
30. 	ALLOCATE AUXILIARY CHANNEL aux3 DEVICE TYPE DISK;
31. 	set until time "to_date('$dat','MON DD YYYY HH24:MI:SS')";			#asking RMAN to do an incomplete TSPITR based duplication. Timestamp is read from command line
32. 	@/backup/rmanscr/secondary/rename_secondary.lst				#remember the file we created. This file will have the list of files to be renamed.
33. 	duplicate target database to secondar					#This single line RMAN command does all the magic. All the rest we did, is just to facilitate us.
34. 	PFILE = /backup/rmanscr/secondary/initsecondary.ora				#You can even skip the tablespaces you want and do a selective/partial duplication.
35. 	LOGFILE									#create logfiles on the fly
36.	GROUP 1 ('/secondary/redo1a.log',
	     '/secondary/redo1b.log')  SIZE 128M REUSE,
37. 	GROUP 2 ('/secondary/redo2a.log',
  	     '/secondary/redo2b.log')  SIZE 128M REUSE;
38. 	}
39. exit;
40. ### Just some post duplication work.						#You do not need this
41. sqlplus "sys/sys@secondary as sysdba" <<EOF					#It is all the customizations you want to be doing after the duplication is done.
42. 	shutdown;								#If you are duplication into a RAC database, then create more threads here.	
43. 	startup mount exclusive pfile='/backup/rmanscr/secondary/initsecondary.ora';
44. 	alter database noarchivelog;
45. 	alter database open;
46. 	shutdown;
47. 	startup open pfile='/backup/rmanscr/secondary/initsecondary.ora';
48. 	create spfile='/secondary/spfilesecondary.ora' from pfile='/backup/rmanscr/secondary/initsecondary.ora';
49. 	shutdown;
50. 	startup
51. 	create pfile='/backup/rmanscr/secondary/initsecondary.ora' from spfile;
52. 	create temporary tablespace temp2  tempfile  '/secondary/temp2'
		size 2048 M reuse
		extent management local
		uniform size 1m ;
53. 	ALTER DATABASE DEFAULT TEMPORARY TABLESPACE TEMP2;
54. 	drop tablespace temp including contents;
55. EOF

[Updated on: Thu, 19 October 2006 14:30]

Re: RMAN can't find redo logs in recovery catalog [message #199030 is a reply to message #199029] Thu, 19 October 2006 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Also in your case, you must invoke RMAN duplicate from the "sandbox".

Re: RMAN can't find redo logs in recovery catalog [message #199037 is a reply to message #199030] Thu, 19 October 2006 17:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clintonf
Wow Manesh, that's amazing. Thanks so much for this.

I managed to get the database duplicating but had a problem with missing archive logs:

I installed a new physical drive(F:) into the duplicate/auxiliary machine. Then I re-backed up my target database, sending the backup pieces to the F: on the target machine (which also has the datafiles of the target database). I didn't have enough physical drives to do this before.

I then OS-copied the datafiles and the backup pieces to the duplicate machine's F: using the same directory structure. I did not copy over any archive logs. I used shared folders (but not mounted network drives) to copy the files.

Now when I executed DUPLICATE DATABASE it works! Almost. Apparently I am missing at least 1 archive log file. The old admin cleared them out periodically to save disk space.

When I tried earlier attempts to BACKUP DATABASE PLUS ARCHIVELOG I learned that the log file, ARCH_1_12936.arc is missing. My latest log file is ARCH_1_14889.ARC, telling me that the missing log file is VERY old.

I wouldn't think that months-old archive logs would be needed, as the rman backup occurred yesterday!

The specific error is:

starting media recovery

Oracle Error:
ORA-01547: warning: RECOVER succeeded but OPEN RESETLOGS would get error below
ORA-01152: file 1 was not restored from a sufficiently old backup
ORA-01110: data file 1: 'C:\ORACLE\ORADATA\SANDBOX\SYSTEM01.DBF'

RMAN-00569: ====== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ============
RMAN-03002: failure of Duplicate Db command at 10/18/2006 15:03:19
RMAN-06053: unable to perform media recovery because of missing log
RMAN-06025: no backup of log thread 1 seq 14888 scn 286281916 found to restore
RMAN-06025: no backup of log thread 1 seq 14887 scn 286254120 found to restore
RMAN-06025: no backup of log thread 1 seq 14765 scn 283934114 found to restore

RMAN>

Will I be able to do a database duplication with 1 (or more) missing archive log files? Would doing a TSPITR prevent this error?

I'm looking through your last posts now and trying to figure out how to apply them to a windows system, but I am very frustrated with trying to get things running across the network (even more so since I almost-managed the local-copy version).

Thanks again Manesh!
Re: RMAN can't find redo logs in recovery catalog [message #199042 is a reply to message #199037] Thu, 19 October 2006 18:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>> When I tried earlier attempts to BACKUP DATABASE PLUS ARCHIVELOG I learned that the log file, ARCH_1_12936.arc is missing
Post the exact error message.
You may to do some clean up and maintenance on catalog.
Try deleting the obsolete backups(Meanwhile, you must backup the recovery catalog database after after backup. Just do a full database export on catalog database).
Whenever you backup RMAN catalogues those archived logs and backups.
If you are just physically removing archivedlogs/backups, those entries are still leftover in catalog.
The standard process is to mark the old backup entries as UNAVAILABLE or OBSOLETE in catalog.
RMAN will consider those entries in catalog as 'unwanted' for now and understands that those are 'old'.
Else During backup/duplication phases, RMAN may look for those archived logs.

Look into these commands in oracle RMAN documentation
RMAN> CROSSCHECK ARCHIVELOG ALL
and
RMAN> DELETE NOPROMPT EXPIRED ARCHIVELOG ALL;

and then run them against your catalog from RMAN.

>> figure out how to apply them to a windows system,
The metalink document clearly explains how to setup mapped drive in windows environment.

>> Will I be able to do a database duplication with 1 (or more) missing archive log files? Would doing a TSPITR prevent this error?
Depends.
First do the cleanup. I ***believe*** it will be all set.
Re: RMAN can't find redo logs in recovery catalog [message #199181 is a reply to message #199042] Fri, 20 October 2006 18:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clintonf
I got a little excited and performed the commands you suggested before trying to get error from a `RMAN> BACKUP database PLUS archivelog;` Embarassed

When I ran that command rman found a lot of files that needed to be cleaned/deleted. rman deleted logs prior to May 2006. There is also gap between May 5 and Oct 1 where there are no archive log files. I'm not certain how they got deleted - I didn't delete them and I don't imagine rman did.

So I deleted the backup I had and did a `RMAN> BACKUP database` command (I didn't include `PLUS archivelog` because I don't have enough disk space).

I am getting the same error when duplicating though, although with a different "series" of archive logs missing:

starting media recovery

Oracle Error:
ORA-01547: warning: RECOVER succeeded but OPEN RESETLOGS would get error below
ORA-01152: file 1 was not restored from a sufficiently old backup
ORA-01110: data file 1: 'C:\ORACLE\ORADATA\SANDBOX\SYSTEM01.DBF'

RMAN-00569: === ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===============
RMAN-00571: ===========================================
RMAN-03002: failure of Duplicate Db command at 10/20/2006 15:53:16
RMAN-06053: unable to perform media recovery because of missing log
RMAN-06025: no backup of log thread 1 seq 14904 scn 286635889 found to restore

RMAN>

Any suggestions on how to get past this?

I would like to try the following:

* restore the missing archive logs from tape backups
* do a `RMAN> BACKUP database PLUS archivelog;` after I figure out how to specify output format for the archivelog to another disk

Thanks!
Re: RMAN can't find redo logs in recovery catalog [message #199209 is a reply to message #199181] Sat, 21 October 2006 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
I thought you were doing this (anyhow this thread is not about backing up).
>> RMAN> BACKUP database PLUS archivelog;

First you need a proper consistent backup. Take a backup with proper configurations.
If you are not allocating the backuplocation, by default it will be dumped into flashbackarea.

>> * restore the missing archive logs from tape backups
NO need.
All you need is a fresh, good backup.
And how are you dupliating? If you are not using TSPITR, RMAN will try to dupliate to current state.
Which means the current archived log files also should be accessible from duplicate instance.
If you are copying the files across, you might have copied only the archived that were used by/before the backup.
So
do a backup.
copy all archivelogs to other location.
else
do TSPITR duplication to a time just before backup.
Re: RMAN can't find redo logs in recovery catalog [message #200057 is a reply to message #199209] Fri, 27 October 2006 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clintonf
Still having trouble with them dang archive logs.

I made a fresh backup including archive logs, copied the backup pieces, datafiles and all archive log files to the auxiliary host. The last archive log sequence backed up was 14 998.

Here's a look at my `SHOW ALL` output:

RMAN> SHOW ALL;

RMAN configuration parameters are:
CONFIGURE RETENTION POLICY TO REDUNDANCY 1; # default
CONFIGURE BACKUP OPTIMIZATION OFF; # default
CONFIGURE DEFAULT DEVICE TYPE TO DISK;
CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP OFF; # default
CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP FORMAT FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO '%F'; # default
CONFIGURE DEVICE TYPE DISK PARALLELISM 1;
CONFIGURE DATAFILE BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO 1; # default
CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO 1; # default
CONFIGURE CHANNEL 1 DEVICE TYPE DISK FORMAT   'f:\rman_backup\%U';
CONFIGURE MAXSETSIZE TO UNLIMITED; # default
CONFIGURE SNAPSHOT CONTROLFILE NAME TO 'C:\ORACLE\ORA92\DATABASE\SNCFMYDB.ORA'; # default
CONFIGURE AUXNAME FOR DATAFILE 'F:\ORACLE\ORADATA\MYDB\DATA\SYSTEM01.DBF' TO 'C:\ORACLE\ORADATA\SANDBOX\SYSTEM01.DBF
CONFIGURE AUXNAME FOR DATAFILE 'F:\ORACLE\ORADATA\MYDB\DATA\UNDOTBS01.DBF' TO 'C:\ORACLE\ORADATA\SANDBOX\UNDOTBS01.D

RMAN>

I started the backup on 25 Oct at 13:04. If I attempt a TSPITR recovery to just before that time (I tried between Oct 25 12:00 and 13:00) I get the following error:

RMAN-00569: === ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===============
RMAN-03002: failure of Duplicate Db command at 10/27/2006 10:38:35
RMAN-06026: some targets not found - aborting restore
RMAN-06023: no backup or copy of datafile 20 found to restore
RMAN-06023: no backup or copy of datafile 18 found to restore

RMAN>

So I tried a TSPITR shortly approximately during the backup time:

RMAN> RUN {
	SET UNTIL TIME "to_date('OCT-25-2006 13:30:00','MON-DD-YYYY HH24:MI:SS')";
	DUPLICATE TARGET DATABASE TO sandbox
	PFILE=c:\oracle\init_data\init_sandbox.ora
	LOGFILE group 1 ('c:\oracle\oradata\sandbox\redolog\redo1_1a','c:\oracle\oradata\sandbox\redolog\redo1_1b')  size 128M reuse,
		group 2 ('c:\oracle\oradata\sandbox\redolog\redo1_2a','c:\oracle\oradata\sandbox\redolog\redo1_2b')  size 128M reuse,
		group 3 ('c:\oracle\oradata\sandbox\redolog\redo1_3a','c:\oracle\oradata\sandbox\redolog\redo1_3b')  size 128M reuse;
}

Here I get the same error about missing log sequences as seen in my other posts. But in this case, the specific missing log sequence was 14 765.

Now, as I said above, the last log sequence was 14 998:

RMAN> LIST BACKUP;
BS Key  Size       Device Type Elapsed Time Completion Time
------- ---------- ----------- ------------ ---------------
12448   606M       DISK        00:00:35     25-OCT-06
        BP Key: 12466   Status: AVAILABLE   Tag: TAG20061025T130339
        Piece Name: F:\RMAN_BACKUP\3QI0NR40_1_1

List of Archived Logs in backup set 12448
  Thrd   Seq     Low SCN    Low Time  Next SCN   Next Time
   1    14765   283934114  12-OCT-06 283967476  12-OCT-06

RMAN>

I've verified that this log file IS on the duplicate host in the same path as in the target host.

I am really confused why RMAN isn't finding an archive log that it backed up!

Any suggestions?
Re: RMAN can't find redo logs in recovery catalog [message #200101 is a reply to message #200057] Fri, 27 October 2006 20:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
We are missing something basic.
Let us investigate from the root.
Are you sure you are switching the logfiles before the RMAN backup?
Like this
sql>alter system switch logfile;

Do above and then your usual RMAN backup.
RMAN>backup database plus archivelog;

Re: RMAN can't find redo logs in recovery catalog [message #200102 is a reply to message #200101] Fri, 27 October 2006 20:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
And
>>CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP OFF
Better to have this option ON
Re: RMAN can't find redo logs in recovery catalog [message #200407 is a reply to message #200102] Mon, 30 October 2006 16:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clintonf
I gave both of your suggestions a try Manesh.

But I received the exact same error, namely, that log 14765 is unavailable. Of course, that file is available, has been backed up and has been OS-copied over to the duplicate host.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Re: RMAN can't find redo logs in recovery catalog [message #200412 is a reply to message #200407] Mon, 30 October 2006 17:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
execute this RMAN command and post the output.
RMAN>list incarnation of database

If you get more than one output, it is to do with incarnation.
Upload your complete RMAN backup log file and duplication logfile and the scripts/command line options used to backup / duplicate.
Re: RMAN can't find redo logs in recovery catalog [message #200425 is a reply to message #200412] Mon, 30 October 2006 19:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
And duplicate to a time after the backup is done.

If you are missingle a particular arhivelog in catalog, but found in disk,you can catalog it.
rman> catalog archivelog '/mydir/myarchivelog';

But in this case, i am pretty much sure you chose a wrong time.
Look closely into the backup log.
If you are restoring to apoint before backup, you need atleast 1 valid backupset taken before (case1 error: RMAN-06023: no backup or copy of datafile 20 found to restore).
If you are restoring to a point after the backup,
all archives should be visible to RMAN. RMAN by itself is not aware of those new archived logs ( your case 2 in previous post)

[Updated on: Mon, 30 October 2006 20:48]

Re: RMAN can't find redo logs in recovery catalog [message #200650 is a reply to message #200425] Tue, 31 October 2006 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clintonf
Hi Mahesh,

RMAN> LIST INCARNATION OF database;

List of Database Incarnations
DB Key  Inc Key DB Name  DB ID            CUR Reset SCN  Reset Time
------- ------- -------- ---------------- --- ---------- ----------
1       2       NMED_DB  3309219400       YES 190578     15-JUN-04

RMAN>

I tried your suggestion of a TSPITR after the database backup. I OS-copied all archive logs made after the backup and included them in the recovery catalog with the `catalog archivelog` command (including log 14675). I subsequently resync'd the catalog and attempted a duplication...

But no luck! I keep getting the same error (`RMAN-06025: no backup of log thread...`)

Any suggestions of where to move now?

Thanks for all your help with this Mahesh; it is much appreciated.
Re: RMAN can't find redo logs in recovery catalog [message #200654 is a reply to message #200650] Tue, 31 October 2006 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>>I OS-copied all archive logs made after the backup
I assume you also copied the backupsets.
Let us try it again. Success is always just around the corner if we dare to reach there Smile.
Take full backup again (database plus archive logs).
Do this. See if all the archived are cataloged.
RMAN> list backup of archivelog all;
check for the expired/obsolete ones and remove them.
RMAN> report obsolete;
RMAN> delete obsolete;
take another backup,resync catalog. copy files again and try it.

In the last 4 days(for the month end processing), i did 3 duplication and 1 restore.
The backups are automated and one of duplication is also automated. I had no problems.

[Updated on: Tue, 31 October 2006 14:07]

Re: RMAN can't find redo logs in recovery catalog [message #200903 is a reply to message #200654] Wed, 01 November 2006 17:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clintonf
Alright, I did as you suggested.

When I deleted obsoletes, log file 14765 was deleted (along with a host of other files)

I attempted a TSPITR after I made the second backup.

But, the same error of missing log files is still being thrown. Including, strangely, a complaint about log 14765!

Now, I don't know if this is important or now, but I tried to recover the database from SQL*PLUS:

SQL> RECOVER database USING BACKUP CONTROLFILE UNTIL CANCEL;
... [here I specified the location of each of the necessary log files... 14765 was not needed]
SQL> ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOGS;

Database altered.

SQL>

After this I was able to log into the DB and use it! Again, I'm not sure if this is important or not.

Any ideas?

[Updated on: Wed, 01 November 2006 17:21]

Re: RMAN can't find redo logs in recovery catalog [message #200905 is a reply to message #200903] Wed, 01 November 2006 18:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
That should work (until cancel followed by open resetlogs)
As i said before, you were not able to succeed the TSPITR by default because you chose the wrong time.
Re: RMAN can't find redo logs in recovery catalog [message #201375 is a reply to message #200905] Fri, 03 November 2006 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clintonf
I'm confused... should I be setting the TSPITR for before or after the database was duplicated??
Re: RMAN can't find redo logs in recovery catalog [message #201379 is a reply to message #201375] Fri, 03 November 2006 18:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
You haven't posted your backup commands yet ( as i asked in previous postings).
Anyhow, make sure after doing the backup you are doing these (archive the current redo and backup them again).
RMAN>SQL 'ALTER SYSTEM ARCHIVE LOG CURRENT';
RMAN>BACKUP ARCHIVELOG ALL;

Try again TSPITR duplication.
Other reason why your TSPITR is failing because you are using a wrong 'time'. RMAN cannot find the related archived files for that 'time'.
If it fails again with something like this
>>RMAN-06025: no backup of log thread 1 seq 14765 scn 283934114 found to restore
So instead of doing this
SET UNTIL TIME "to_date('OCT-25-2006 13:30:00','MON-DD-YYYY HH24:MI:SS')"

try to use recover using the sequence.
SET UNTIL SEQUENCE 14765 THREAD 1;

This is *almost* same as what you did before( until cancel followed by open resetlogs which worked good for you).
Now we are recovering until the sequence that RMAN cannot find.
Re: RMAN can't find redo logs in recovery catalog [message #202218 is a reply to message #201379] Wed, 08 November 2006 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clintonf
Hey Mahesh,

The only backup command I used for this attempt was:

RMAN> BACKUP database PLUS archivelog;

I tried what you suggested, backing up the archive logs produced since I made the DB backup. This created new backup file pieces (I never noticed these before) that I OS-copied to the duplicate machine. I also copied the archive log files themselves and resync'd the catalog.

I tried a TSPITR with a SET UNTIL sequence 14765. This gave me the following error:

RMAN-06023: no backup or copy of datafile 20 found to restore

So I then tried a TSPITR with a log sequence made the day after I tried the backup. Here I received the following error:

Still not working.

Why is RMAN getting caught up with a log sequence that is very out-of-date? How can I get RMAN to stop asking about it???

Thanks.

Re: RMAN can't find redo logs in recovery catalog [message #202221 is a reply to message #202218] Wed, 08 November 2006 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
seq 14765 is your old sequence that i provided as an example.
Are you getting error on same sequence still? That should not occur.

Do a cleanup (delete expire/obsolete etc) and do these.
RMAN>SQL 'ALTER SYSTEM ARCHIVE LOG CURRENT';
RMAN>BACKUP ARCHIVELOG ALL;
RMAN> BACKUP database PLUS archivelog;
RMAN>BACKUP ARCHIVELOG ALL; #not essential. lets do it.

Try the TSPITR duplication (with timestamp).
If that fails,
get the sequence where it fails and use

SET UNTIL SEQUENCE sequence_no THREAD no;

BTW, i cannot reproduce your case at all.
Re: RMAN can't find redo logs in recovery catalog [message #202223 is a reply to message #202218] Wed, 08 November 2006 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
If any of these is not helping,
Enable RMAN tracing and upload the trace file along with all you did (Everything. Your connect to target, your backup and its logs, your duplicate and its logs).
Re: RMAN can't find redo logs in recovery catalog [message #202417 is a reply to message #202223] Thu, 09 November 2006 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clintonf
Still no luck

The error is in log sequence 14765. I know you used it just as an example, Mahesh, but RMAN is continously complaining about that one sequence!

I've uploaded the RMAN backup file.

• Attachment: backup_01.log
    (Size: 37.73KB, Downloaded 1533 times)
Re: RMAN can't find redo logs in recovery catalog [message #202418 is a reply to message #202223] Thu, 09 November 2006 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clintonf
Now, in the backup I noticed that it called for me to run a crosscheck on the backup. That file is attached.

The backup piece that crosscheck throws an error on is the largest file of the backup set (~ 19 GB). I had ensured that the destination path (FORMAT) for the backup was empty before I called the backup command so I am certain that this file is necessary.
Re: RMAN can't find redo logs in recovery catalog [message #202420 is a reply to message #202223] Thu, 09 November 2006 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clintonf
Now, some windows/database use issues prevent me from copying the .dbf files to the auxiliary host whenever I want. The files were copied about 3 hours after the duplication was made.

Now, onto the duplication.

The file's attached. RMAN complains about some missing archive log files necessary to achieve the SET UNTIL TIME that I specified. With the exception of (the cursed) 14 765 log file these logs were made after the database was backed up.
Re: RMAN can't find redo logs in recovery catalog [message #202422 is a reply to message #202223] Thu, 09 November 2006 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clintonf
So I tried another duplication, setting the TSPITR to a log sequence that wasn't missing (namely, 15 210).

The file is attached and you'll see that here RMAN complains about 14 765 (argh!)

I have a few suspicions:

Is the time delay between the backups and the available .dbf files causing problems?

Perhaps log sequence 14 765 is lost in the recovery catalog "ether" somewhere? Would deleting the catalog database and starting fresh with a new one be a good idea?

I've also noticed a difference between duplicate_01.log and duplicate_01a.log. After the `Starting restore at 09-Nov-06` line, duplicate_01.log shows what seems to me actual copying over of the .dbf files to their destination on the auxiliary host (specified by CONFIGURE AUXNAME). duplicate_01a.log doesn't show this. Is this because rman knows that the files have been copied? Should I be deleting the .dbf files from their final destination after each unsucessful duplication?

Thanks Mahesh! Your tireless help is very appreciated.

[Updated on: Thu, 09 November 2006 13:00]

Re: RMAN can't find redo logs in recovery catalog [message #202435 is a reply to message #202422] Thu, 09 November 2006 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
First, a general recomenation.
export NLS_DATE_FORMAT='MON DD YYYY 24HH:MI:SS' #export in unix. set in windows.

For all backups make sure you have this date format (easy to debug in future. Else the backup log does
not have full timestamp). In your logs all i see is
>>Finished backup at 08-NOV-06
So cannot really crosscheck the backup time and time used in duplication.

I guess,somehow you are getting what we call 'gap' in archivedlogs.
RMAN duplication cannot complete without this.
Only alternative is what you have already done (until cancel followed by open resetlogs).
>>setting the TSPITR to a log sequence that wasn't missing (namely, 15 210
Will fail. because it has to come through 14 765 ~!.

RMAN> CROSSCHECK ARCHIVELOG ALL; ##should clear all the gaps
followed by delete expired and delete obsolete.

Just found there is a metalink note(155656.1) that explains all this. it also explains how to extract the last valid sequence.

[Updated on: Mon, 13 November 2006 09:57]

Previous Topic: Tablespace in backup mode ?
Next Topic: RMAN backup on tape
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 02 10:27:28 CDT 2024