Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » RMAN Question
RMAN Question [message #195618] Fri, 29 September 2006 13:24 Go to next message
rucknrun
I have a situation where I need to maintain to RMAN catalogs to back up my production environment.

1st environment: My disaster recovery site I have full databases in recovery mode and I send archive logs off site. I do not have to take full backups or incrementals to maintain this site.

2nd environment: I need to take a full on sunday and incrementals every night to maintain local backups on our system

I planned on using 2 separate catalogs to manage the backups. One catalog is on my disaster recovery site the other would be here.

Has anyone had any experience with a situation like this? Do you se any potential conflicts with trying to do this?

I would guess one potential snag is where the controlfile will know the backup status for both catalogs.

Any help or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
Re: RMAN Question [message #195656 is a reply to message #195618] Sat, 30 September 2006 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
email.sandeepnaik
How is your DR site setup? Physical standby?

Sandeep
Re: RMAN Question [message #195659 is a reply to message #195656] Sat, 30 September 2006 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rucknrun
There is a full copy of our machine there and the databases are in mount mode and I am just feeding them archive logs every day COB. I don't want my local RMAN backup configuration to conflict with the DR site.
Re: RMAN Question [message #195660 is a reply to message #195618] Sat, 30 September 2006 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
email.sandeepnaik
Setup you have may be workable but may not be full proof against disaster.

I suggest you go with data guard setup with physical standby where you avoid any such controlfile conflicts on each site as well can maintain one catalog for both databases witout any issues.

You can send all archivelogs COB even in data guard setup. No need to ship them right away.

Sandeep
Re: RMAN Question [message #195965 is a reply to message #195660] Tue, 03 October 2006 06:21 Go to previous message
rucknrun
Will I be able to keep a local copy of the backups? I don't really want to maintain one catalog. I want to keep the backups separate. I have the catalog for the DR site there. I want the catalog for the local backups here.

I can't really change the DR site. I works perfectly now. I just want a solution where I can use RMAN or Dataguard locally without compromising the DR site.
Previous Topic: Losta all the redo lgs files
Next Topic: consistency in nomount cold backups ??
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 08 17:05:49 CDT 2024