Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Recover part of database on a remote site
Recover part of database on a remote site [message #194380] Thu, 21 September 2006 16:40 Go to next message
geohappy
I have the following task to achieve. My client needs to move part of their database to a new data center. There is no proprietary good network between two centers which are 1,000 miles apart, and downtime can be allowed only for few hours. I wanted to prepare backup level 0 from site A, send it over to site B , restore there, and at the switchover hours, send differential backups over network to site B and apply it by recovering on site B. I know I can do it with full database. The problem is it is too big and client needs just 3 tablespaces to be moved from site A to B, around 70G of data. What is the right solution?
Re: Recover part of database on a remote site [message #194493 is a reply to message #194380] Fri, 22 September 2006 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>> downtime can be allowed only for few hours.
It depends on your network. Right? We cannot dictate the network speed. So, the actaul downtime would depend on network.
If the databases are not so-remote, i would use an RMAN duplication to selectively duplicate the tablespaces. here it is ruled out.
The other option is to use transportable tablepaces.
A very effective (but painful ) approach is to use materialized views. It is very handy with very minimal downtime.
Regards~
Re: Recover part of database on a remote site [message #194500 is a reply to message #194493] Fri, 22 September 2006 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
geohappy
network is out of picture. pretend it does not exist for large transfers. sending bulk data will be just tape sent by mail. how do i do materialized views refresh without network?
Re: Recover part of database on a remote site [message #194502 is a reply to message #194380] Fri, 22 September 2006 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
email.sandeepnaik
If there is no network and downtime allowed is in few hours, in that case it will be even difficult to get data up to last minute.

I am not sure how you are planning on keeping remote database updated till last minute.

You will always have a big difference (difference betn your backup and apply on remote site) between remote database and your current production one.

If you are out of all options, Keep sending tapes. Keep applying backups from primary (which you plan to send via tapes) . You can take 0 or 1, your choice, based on size of database and/or backups.

Sandeep
Re: Recover part of database on a remote site [message #194523 is a reply to message #194502] Fri, 22 September 2006 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
geohappy
Thanks!
I guess the most important question here is whether I can restore level 0 and apply incrementals on needed tablespaces , not full database restore. Given that site B is a new database, all that needed there is subset of database A
Re: Recover part of database on a remote site [message #194595 is a reply to message #194380] Fri, 22 September 2006 19:51 Go to previous message
email.sandeepnaik
It should work as long as you follow process of "tablespace recovery" as per oracle docuemntation.

Sandeep
Previous Topic: control file as raw devices
Next Topic: Datafile Free Size
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 30 09:37:56 CDT 2024