Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Using retention policy and delete obsolete in RMAN
Using retention policy and delete obsolete in RMAN [message #193891] Tue, 19 September 2006 16:57 Go to next message
dzeljko

I have 2 databases and for one I have to make full online backup every day and for second incremental backup which

starts on Friday (full backup) and every day of the week goes incremantal backup.

Question are:

Is it possible to specify above mentioned scenario with 'retention policy'? (to delete old backups and keep one

backup per week, month ...)
How can I delete old backups? Is it possible to do that with 'delete obsolete' command? Does this command

phisycaly delete old backups from disk if the retention policy is well specified.

Also is it possible to maintain backup and recovery of more databases on diferent servers using one rman on one

database server ?
Re: Using retention policy and delete obsolete in RMAN [message #193892 is a reply to message #193891] Tue, 19 September 2006 17:03 Go to previous message
ebrian
Sure, you can configure your retention policy based on a recovery window or a redundancy factor. Once you have a retention policy configured, RMAN will physically remove any obsolete backups from disk or tape that exceed the retention policy.

If you have a central server accessible to the various databases you need to backup, you can configure a recovery catalog in the central server to serve as the RMAN repository for the various databases.
Previous Topic: Error message for create standby using rman!
Next Topic: Oracle - Linux Raw
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 30 06:00:52 CDT 2024