Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » How to organize backup strategy
How to organize backup strategy [message #193657] Mon, 18 September 2006 15:56 Go to next message
dzeljko
I am making backup scenario for Oracle 9i database which is avaliable 24x7. I created two scripts for backup
database files and archive log files.

connect target user/passwd
run {
allocate channel db_backup_disk1 type disk format '/oraback/dbarch/%U';
backup as BACKUPSET tag DB_BCK database;
release channel db_backup_disk1;
}

and

connect target user/passwd
run {
allocate channel arh_backup_disk1 type disk format '/opt/oracle/oraback/logarch/%U';
backup as BACKUPSET tag ARH_BCK archivelog all not backed up 2 times;
delete noprompt archivelog until time 'sysdate -7' backed up 2 times to device type disk;
release channel arch_backup_disk1;
}

I put this script in command files and call them from cron.

Requests for backup is:one backup Weekly, monthly, and one in six months have to be saved separately and tree last made backups also.

Questions are:
1. How to delete old backup files and archived log files (using unix script or some other way?)
2. Is incremental backup better solution for this scenario?
3. How to test backup files for restoring (making test server or some other way?)
4. Is there any possibility to save information about finish backups and make report about that

Uh I know that is to many questions but it is urgent and very important for me.
Re: How to organize backup strategy [message #193865 is a reply to message #193657] Tue, 19 September 2006 13:58 Go to previous message
kimant
1. How to delete old backup files and archived log files (using unix script or some other way?)

You can do this be using RMAN retention policy

http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96566/rcmconfg.htm#453412

2. Is incremental backup better solution for this scenario?

You should take a full backup once in a while, perhaps weekly, if You can afford it. Restoring will then require less archive logs etc.
If You can afford it, consider taking a full backup.

3. How to test backup files for restoring (making test server or some other way?)

Yes, do absolutely test the REAL backup, ie. when the strategy is implemented, restore to a test server.

4. Is there any possibility to save information about finish backups and make report about that

If You use a RMAN instance, You can use the views from there.
Using the database control file as RMAN catalog limits You however, but RMAN does maintain the tables on Your instance, so You could report from it (when it is running Wink

Br
Kim
Previous Topic: Multiplexing of files
Next Topic: Error message for create standby using rman!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 30 11:20:54 CDT 2024