Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Protecting Unrecoverable Changes
Protecting Unrecoverable Changes [message #191420] Wed, 06 September 2006 05:23 Go to next message
RivetJoint
Hello.

I have a production E-Business Suite database.
The database is in archivelog mode.

It is backed up once a day using Rman (database plus archivelogs).

What worries me is that infrequently unrecoverable changes are being made to the database. I have to assume these are part of E-Business Suite's internal processes and are required. I know these are happening by querying v$datafile.

My concern is that if I ever need to restore the database the objects, which are unknown to me, which had non-logged actions applied to them will not be restored correctly.

How should I think about solving this problem? More frequent full backups? Incremental backups?

Re: Protecting Unrecoverable Changes [message #191440 is a reply to message #191420] Wed, 06 September 2006 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
email.sandeepnaik
SQL>alter database force logging;

Sandeep
Re: Protecting Unrecoverable Changes [message #191466 is a reply to message #191420] Wed, 06 September 2006 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RivetJoint
Thank you.

Am I likely to break anything but forcing logging?
Re: Protecting Unrecoverable Changes [message #191487 is a reply to message #191420] Wed, 06 September 2006 09:43 Go to previous message
email.sandeepnaik
nope.
All DML operations with nologging caluse will also generate redo and hence higher archivelog and may be increased resource consumption on server.

If this feature is enabled Oracle does a force logging even if nologging or unrecoverable loads are done.

This feauter can be enabled at TWO level:

- Database level(CREATE DATBASE ,ALTER DATABASE ..FORCE LOGGING)
- Tablespace level(CREATE TABLESPACE,ALTER TABLESPACE ..FORCE LOGGING)

Sandeep
Previous Topic: Backup database using RMAN Error
Next Topic: Import related query
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 01 03:13:33 CDT 2024