Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Delete a datafile from physical location
icon8.gif  Delete a datafile from physical location [message #190475] Thu, 31 August 2006 00:05 Go to next message
nidhi_b4u
Hi All,
I'm workning on critical production databases.
In order to get prepared for the worst things,before those occure, i want to recover the database while datafile is missing.
But i'm not able to drop the datafile n its showing 'sharing voilation'.
Is there any other way to delete a datafile from its physical location?
or is there any way to deliberately crash a datbase apart from touching datafile?
I'm under learning process. Kindly help me out..
Thanks a lot in advance!!!!!!
Re: Delete a datafile from physical location [message #190527 is a reply to message #190475] Thu, 31 August 2006 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
What OS are you using? Windows normally lock the files. To crash Oracle, just kill the oracle.exe process.
Re: Delete a datafile from physical location [message #190533 is a reply to message #190527] Thu, 31 August 2006 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nidhi_b4u
Yeah i'm working on Windows only n i'm supposed to crash a demo database which is on test database server. But killing oracle.exe, I guess will stop rest all test databases on the same server.N these test databases are crrently used by our developers.
Is there any other way out?
Re: Delete a datafile from physical location [message #190682 is a reply to message #190475] Thu, 31 August 2006 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
email.sandeepnaik
In services, you can look for service which has your SID name and try stopping that service.

Sandeep
Re: Delete a datafile from physical location [message #190767 is a reply to message #190533] Fri, 01 September 2006 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kimant
Hmmm...

You want to learn how to recover etc. a database, but it is being used by someone else, so it cannot be shutdown.

I would suggest that You create Your own little test instance. Should not be a problem, since You do not really need much ram, just a little disk.

Then You could put a datafile on a device You can disconnect, fx. an USB key, remove and see what happens....
Or You could change drive letters...
Or...

Br
Kim
Re: Delete a datafile from physical location [message #190768 is a reply to message #190682] Fri, 01 September 2006 02:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kimant
HI

Bad idea.

As he wrote, somebody is using the database, and thus he cannot stop/kill it.

Br
Kim
Re: Delete a datafile from physical location [message #191677 is a reply to message #190475] Thu, 07 September 2006 13:03 Go to previous message
goudelly

Hi,

If you database is not using for your maintanance purpose. You can take dicision to make some changes in your database. Before droping or deleting the tablespace you have to make sure to offile the tablespace and remove from the OS level datafiles. This is possible. After that you can shutdown the database and restart it..

Thanks,

Mohan Reddy G
Previous Topic: how can asm datafile is deleted
Next Topic: Cleaning RMAN
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 01 00:38:10 CDT 2024