Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Questions about failover
Questions about failover [message #190261] Tue, 29 August 2006 22:58 Go to next message
ferrethouse
I want to have a primary production database server and a secondary standby database server. I want the standby server to be kept in sync with the primary server but it will only be used if the primary server fails. I have a few of questions...

1. Is this possible?
2. If so, if it fairly easy to setup?
3. Is there any reason why code we have written to query the primary database wouldn't work in this scenario (we have .NET code, Powerbuilder code, Access code)?
4. Is the failover automatic (i.e. do we have to change any connection strings or anything)?

I'm using Oracle 9i but we do have a license for 10g.

Thank you.

[Updated on: Tue, 29 August 2006 23:02]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Questions about failover [message #190280 is a reply to message #190261] Wed, 30 August 2006 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
look into RMAN Standby.
>>2. If so, if it fairly easy to setup?
I cannot talk for you.
It is fairly complex to start with, but widely implemented and worth the pain.
>> 3. Is there any reason why code we have written to query the primary database wouldn't work in this scenario (we have .NET code, Powerbuilder code, Access code)?
Depends.
If you have anything hardcoded, that may be a problem.
Have the standby server identical to primary.
>>Is the failover automatic (i.e. do we have to change any connection strings or anything)?
Failover is manual.
But the SYNC between the two databases can be automatic/manual (depending on your need)
Please look into STandby Dadtabases using RMAN.
Re: Questions about failover [message #190401 is a reply to message #190280] Wed, 30 August 2006 09:19 Go to previous message
ferrethouse
What about Data Guard and MAA?

http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/availability/pdf/MAA_WP_10gR2_FastStartFailoverBestPractices.pdf#search=%22automatic%20failov er%2C%20oracle%22

It sounds like that is automatic failover.
Previous Topic: restore cold backup on new server oracle 8i windows 2000 server urgent
Next Topic: how to backup database
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 30 16:27:52 CDT 2024