Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Oracle 8i
Oracle 8i [message #187103] Thu, 10 August 2006 21:32 Go to next message
serverman73
Please excuse my lack of knowledge of Oracle with my questions. I am the overall sysadmin, not the Oracle person. Currently we are running 8i with an ERP package called BaaN. We are running this on HP-UX 11.11. What I am looking for is direction for a backup strategy. We are going to be using Veritas Backup Exec 10d, but it does NOT have the agents available to backup the Oracle tables/data in tact. Basically what we are going to have to do, is have oracle dump the database to a 'flat file' which will then allow BackupExec to backup the flat file. My experience has been with MS SQL. In that case, MS SQL had a backup utility built into its enterprise manager, where you could schedule the job to backup the database to a flat file, and dump it do disk, which then could be committed to tape, but in this fashion, we werent concerned about corrupting data with the Backup Exec, because MS SQL made a nice tidy file and Backup Exec would just blindly back it up, not caring or needing any MS SQL Agents, etc.

Is this possible with 8i? If so, HOW? What would you do?

Also, I know this isnt the best backup strategy, but is it do-able?

Basically it would work like this(if this is plausible). Oracle would use an 'internal utility' to backup the databases(totaling about 160GB), to flat file on a separate LUN used as a 'dump' for this data, THEN BackupExec would then take this 'flat file' and commit it to tape. If we needed to restore, we would restore the flat file, then have 8i import the data.

Crazy? We are working on a tight budget.
Re: Oracle 8i [message #187108 is a reply to message #187103] Thu, 10 August 2006 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
Is your database a 24x7 system? If so, you'll need to take a hot-backup (database remains open and available). If you are allowed down-time and can shutdown the database, then you may be able to consider a cold-backup.

I never had the opportunity to use RMAN for 8i, but from feedback I've heard of other's experiences, people didn't feel that RMAN was mature enough and were reluctant to put their faith into it's ability. Others in the forum may have more insight into RMAN for 8i.

That being said, I would recommend following the process that is detailed here Performing Whole Database Backups.

In your situation, you could backup your database to disk and then have Backup Exec copy the files to tape.
Re: Oracle 8i [message #187109 is a reply to message #187103] Thu, 10 August 2006 22:06 Go to previous message
BlackSwan
>Crazy? We are working on a tight budget.
With backups - you can have them good, fast or cheap; pick any two.
Oh, that is right you already picked cheap; so now you get to choose between good and fast.
One direct approach is to use the Oracle supplied "export" utility (exp) out to a backup volume.
The restoration process will be slow (& painful depending upon application complxity).
My advice is to practice, practice, practice doing DB restores & DOCUMENT the process.
Previous Topic: Disaster recovery!! Please help me !!!
Next Topic: Restoring database after disk rebuild with ASM
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 02 13:19:09 CDT 2024