Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Archive Log files
Archive Log files [message #186494] Tue, 08 August 2006 03:34 Go to next message
nidhi_b4u
Hello All,
I've recently joined as a trainee DBA after working as a developer.
I dont know much about how to apply archive log files while recovering a database. We are currently having our database runnign in archive mode. The size of archive files is in some GB which is occupying much space. Rather we hv import backup with us as well.
I want to delete all the archive files. Will it be ok if I delete them and let the archive start afresh after taking fresh backup? If yes,which backup i need to take? Hot backup or clod one?
Thanks in advance..

Nidhi..
Re: Archive Log files [message #186514 is a reply to message #186494] Tue, 08 August 2006 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
It would be a good idea for you to read over the Backup and Recovery Concepts manual which would help answer a lot of your questions.

Hot or cold backup depends on your system requirements and if you can tolerate down time to perform the backup.
Re: Archive Log files [message #188919 is a reply to message #186514] Tue, 22 August 2006 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dinu_dba

take hot backup thats better
Re: Archive Log files [message #190480 is a reply to message #186494] Thu, 31 August 2006 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nidhi_b4u
Thanks a lot
Re: Archive Log files [message #191683 is a reply to message #186494] Thu, 07 September 2006 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
goudelly

Hi,

Your database is in archive log mode it will generate the archivelog files in archive_dump_dest folder. You can use RMAN to take the backup up archive log files into tape or disk and delete the archive log files(in RMAN script it self you can write after taking the backup delete the archive log files). Because you require always a backup copy of archive log files for time of restoring the database. After taking the backup you can delete the archive log files from you source directory.

If you have any stand by database is maintaining in this case move the archive log files through rman from primary database to stand by database.

Thanks,

Mohan Reddy G
Re: Archive Log files [message #196021 is a reply to message #191683] Tue, 03 October 2006 14:10 Go to previous message
parthokonar
You can use the command backup archivelog all delete input and store it in disk or tape.
Previous Topic: consistency in nomount cold backups ??
Next Topic: Log generated
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 08 15:22:43 CDT 2024