Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » RMAN Writing to Tape
RMAN Writing to Tape [message #186129] Sun, 06 August 2006 05:57 Go to next message
RMin
Hi,
I understand that in Oracle 8i to 10g R1, Oracle packaged Legato Single Server Version (LSSV) on the Companion CD. Using LSSV, you could configure RMAN to write to tape. However, in the installation guide for Oracle 10.2, it mentions that LSSV is deprecated:

Deprecated Components in Oracle Database 10g Release 2 (10.2)

The following Oracle Database 10g release 2 (10.2) components that were part of
Oracle Database 10g release 1 (10.1) are not available for installation with Oracle
Database 10g release 2 (10.2):

* Legato Single Server Version (LSSV) (instead, use Oracle Database Recovery
Manager (RMAN)

It then recommends the use of RMAN instead. Does RMAN in Oracle 10.2 now support writing to tapes directly, or would I have to look at something like Veritas Oracle agent or Tivoli or Oracle Secure Backup? Thanks for your help.
Re: RMAN Writing to Tape [message #186151 is a reply to message #186129] Sun, 06 August 2006 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
Good question! Oracle provides a replacement product called "Oracle Secure Backup" (OSB). My guess is that this integrates tightly with RMAN, allowing RMAN to write directly to tape.

OSB Express is provided free with the Oracle DB and application products, but can only be used to backup one server to one attached tape drive. If you need to backup to multiple drive, you need to license OSB separately.
Re: RMAN Writing to Tape [message #186169 is a reply to message #186129] Sun, 06 August 2006 13:15 Go to previous message
RMin
Thanks Frank. I had read up on OSB but had completely forgotten about the Express edition. You're probably right. I find it annoying that Oracle keeps mentioning that you need 3rd party software and completely overlooks LSSV or OSB Express. For example, in their overview of RMAN (http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/availability/htdocs/rman_overview.htm), it mentions:

Media management software, required for RMAN to interface with backup devices such as tape drives

but makes no mention of LSSV (for 10G R1) or OSB Express (for 10G R2). You might need 3rd party software if you need the extra features offered by this 3rd party software, but if OSB Express of LSSV meet your needs, then Oracle should tell you so.
Previous Topic: Take back-up daily on the tables that are changing
Next Topic: ORA-00904 -- Export Problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 02 18:16:27 CDT 2024