Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Help on a recovery scenario
Help on a recovery scenario [message #185988] Fri, 04 August 2006 12:28 Go to next message
leepr
Hi guys,

Our Oracle DBA is on vacation and I've been tasked (challenged) with the following...

Given the following scenario, could you tell me what the path to receovery would look like..?

The Oracle server SERVERA has just crashed and all the internal disks are fried. We have backups of the control files, archive logs , and redo logs, and dump file from 5 hours ago.

Can you tell me how to set up the crashed database on a new server, SERVERB? I'm thinking that I would import the latest dump files and then do something with the archive/redo logs? Can you tell tell me or direct me to some useful information?

I have no experience with Oracle receover at all!

Thanks!

Leigh
Re: Help on a recovery scenario [message #186108 is a reply to message #185988] Sat, 05 August 2006 21:02 Go to previous message
nmacdannald
I am asuming you are using a Solaris O/S?
If so, reinstall Oracle, after creating a group named dba, an O/S user named something like orap102, after installing the Oracle software run dbca, then netca as that new O/S user.
login as that user and create a .profile file that defines your database.
Log into the O/S as su and modify the system file to include parameters recommended by Oracle. Reboot system.

copy all your backup files to the new server, start the listener, start the database. Party on.
Previous Topic: automatic backup
Next Topic: Take back-up daily on the tables that are changing
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 02 20:46:03 CDT 2024