Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Insufficient privileges connecting to remote server with RMAN
Insufficient privileges connecting to remote server with RMAN [message #180476] Mon, 03 July 2006 16:58 Go to next message
Chewie71
I have been going over this for two days and can't get it resolved. I have the pfile/spfile created on the remote server, and have created the password file with orapwd. The info in my listener.ora and tnsnames.ora files are correct. The TESTDB is started using 'startup nomount'. From the error I'm getting, I'm pretty sure RMAN is connecting to the remote DB but for some reason doesn't have the right privileges?

This is the command I use from the primary db server.

$ rman target sys/syspass@proddb auxiliary sys/syspass@testdb

...and the resulting error...

Recovery Manager: Release 9.2.0.7.0 - 64bit Production

connected to target database: PRODDB (DBID=3604289593)
RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===============
RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-00554: initialization of internal recovery manager package failed
RMAN-04006: error from auxiliary database: ORA-01031: insufficient privileges

If anyone could help enlighten me to where my problem might be I would appreciate it. I've gone over and over everything I could dig up about this error on Google...I've tried just about everything and I'm positive my configuration is right. It just seems that sysdba doesn't have privileges to the testdb.

Thanks,
Matt
Re: Insufficient privileges connecting to remote server with RMAN [message #180486 is a reply to message #180476] Mon, 03 July 2006 20:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
Have you tested your connection to the auxiliary database with SQL*Plus from the target node as SYSDBA?

Do you have REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORD_FILE set to EXLUSIVE on the auxiliary database?
Re: Insufficient privileges connecting to remote server with RMAN [message #180667 is a reply to message #180486] Tue, 04 July 2006 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chewie71
ebrian wrote on Mon, 03 July 2006 20:33

Have you tested your connection to the auxiliary database with SQL*Plus from the target node as SYSDBA?

Yes...I get the same response...insufficient privileges.

Quote:

Do you have REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORD_FILE set to EXLUSIVE on the auxiliary database?

Yes...and I found a query during one of my Google searches that showed me how to check in SQLPlus that it was set.

Thanks,
Matt
Re: Insufficient privileges connecting to remote server with RMAN [message #180900 is a reply to message #180476] Wed, 05 July 2006 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chewie71
bah...I guess I got it figured out. I actually have to create the database first so it HAS a SYSDBA and SYSTEM password.

Ran dbca and created a database...THEN went through all the steps to duplicate and it seems to work fine now. The instructions never said I had to create the database first. Razz

Anyway, my duplicate is working now...at least to a point (see my new post).

Thanks,
Matt
Re: Insufficient privileges connecting to remote server with RMAN [message #180931 is a reply to message #180900] Wed, 05 July 2006 19:54 Go to previous message
ebrian
Yeah, sometimes you have to read between the lines with the Oracle documentation.

Thanks for posting your update.
Previous Topic: Restore RMAN Backup from Database A to Database B
Next Topic: RMAN duplication fails...missing redo logs?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 00:15:43 CDT 2024