Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Can I Clone/duplicate a DB when is running?
Can I Clone/duplicate a DB when is running? [message #180279] Sun, 02 July 2006 16:09 Go to next message
gabriela_leal
Hi !!

I need to create a test database from production when it is running. Is this possible?

I am using rman to create my backups in production and here is the script ...

run {

backup
incremental level = 0 cumulative
filesperset 4
database plus archivelog
format '/u01/backups/vsid/hot/db_%d_%s_%p_%t'
tag = 'WHOLE_INC0';
delete noprompt obsolete;
}

exit

-------------------
I have 20 datafiles in my db and when I run the above script to create a full online backup, only one backup file is created in '/u01/backups/vdev/hot/' and 5 more files in '/u01/app/oracle/product/9.2.0/dbs/' Why? do I need this files to clone/duplicate my DB in another server?

I have this article which explain some steps but I am missing the restore piece and if I am not sure if I need to move the others 5 files in the dbs folder.

http://oracle.ittoolbox.com/documents/popular-q-and-a/how-to-clone-an-oracle-database-1623

if someone one please help me and send me a link, article, document with some help about how to clone/duplicate a database from rman?

thank you very much,
Gabriela
Re: Can I Clone/duplicate a DB when is running? [message #180281 is a reply to message #180279] Sun, 02 July 2006 18:13 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Quote:

have 20 datafiles in my db and when I run the above script to create a full online backup, only one backup file is created in '/u01/backups/vdev/hot/' and 5 more files in '/u01/app/oracle/product/9.2.0/dbs/' Why?

Becuase you are doing an incremental backup.

Do a full backup.

>>I have this article .....

The said article has nothing to do with RMAN duplication.

>>if someone one please help me and send me a link, article, document with some help about how to clone/duplicate a database from rman?

The documentation is the best resource.
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96566/rcmdupdb.htm#441628

For more specific questions,
First search documentation,
then this forum and google.

Regards
Previous Topic: Backup Problem
Next Topic: Hello World of TSPITR (10g to start)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 15:31:56 CDT 2024