Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Restore RMAN Backup from Database A to Database B
Restore RMAN Backup from Database A to Database B [message #179525] Tue, 27 June 2006 17:38 Go to next message
Vamshee
Hi

I would like to confirm if before i try the following( Irrespective of any Oracle version.)

If i have an RMAN backup dump of Database A ( Server B),
would i able to restore the dump on Database B ( Server B)
(Provided that i create a similar Database (with exact tablespaces) and Schema on Server B)

If my RMAN is registered with both the databases,
is it possible to do that ?
If yes, please suggest me if iam missing anything.

Please share your thoughts on this.

Regards
Vamshee.
Re: Restore RMAN Backup from Database A to Database B [message #179530 is a reply to message #179525] Tue, 27 June 2006 19:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>> (Provided that i create a similar Database (with exact tablespaces) and Schema on Server B)
Not essentially.
Your disk layout may differ and you can even selectively restore/duplicate the tablespaces.
>>If my RMAN is registered with both the databases,
The rman user A is used to backup database A.
If you use RMAN user_A to restore/duplicate database B, then User_A will be
Looking into database B.
You need to register user_A back to database A.
To avaid this, you can use multiple users.
User_A to backup database A.
user_duplicate_AtoB to duplicate database A to database B.
Re: Restore RMAN Backup from Database A to Database B [message #179711 is a reply to message #179525] Wed, 28 June 2006 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
croK
Hi,

mmmm..not sure you can do that...
So far I know....
when you log into rman catalog, you are pointing to some DBID, that is your database id, all backup pieces made from databaseA have that dbid associated so rman can identified backups being made.
If you log to rman catalog with user from databaseB, there is no way you can see backups made from databaseA. That's why I believe there is no easy way to achieve what you are looking for.
But, I would recommend you to read "Data Guard Concepts and Administration" documentation regarding setup standby database from backups made by rman, that is, cloning databases. It might help.

Best luck.
Re: Restore RMAN Backup from Database A to Database B [message #180921 is a reply to message #179711] Wed, 05 July 2006 17:01 Go to previous message
Vamshee
Hi Crok & Mahesh

Thanks for your inputs.

Just wanted to share with you this link that i found providing information of Cloning of DB using RMAN backup.

Please refer to: "Creating a Duplicate Database on a Local or Remote Host" in chapter 12 (Duplicating a Database with Recovery Manager) of Rman User's Guide

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96566/rcmdupdb.htm#442271

Regards
Vamshee.
Previous Topic: RMAN Duplication failing with RMAN-06136
Next Topic: Insufficient privileges connecting to remote server with RMAN
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 16:43:11 CDT 2024