Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » rman backup to disk then to tape
rman backup to disk then to tape [message #178719] Thu, 22 June 2006 06:11 Go to next message
laksha
We want to use RMAN to backup our 50GB database. We do not have an external backup tool. If I take RMAN backup on disk and then manually transfer it to tape, is it safe to do so?
I do not intend to use a catalog database.
If in case I loose all of the data on the server along with the control files(which store the rman info). Is it possible to make a replica of database from scratch from the backup data in the tape.
Also if there some loss of data due to disk failues or some other factors. Will we be able to recover?
Re: rman backup to disk then to tape [message #178722 is a reply to message #178719] Thu, 22 June 2006 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>> If I take RMAN backup on disk and then manually transfer it to tape, is it safe to do so?
yes. That works. As long as this 'manual' process ,whatever it is does its job correctly and you are able to restore those backupsets, this will work.
>>If in case I loose all of the data on the server along with the control files(which store the rman info) .......
Yes. It is documented here
http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14191/rcmrecov002.htm#sthref723
This should be good read too
>>http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14191/rcmrecov006.htm#sthref747
Re: rman backup to disk then to tape [message #178736 is a reply to message #178722] Thu, 22 June 2006 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
laksha
what is the specific care that has to be taken to manually transfer backup from disk to tape. Preserving timestamp and file permissions is enough or something more.

If i take a rman backup the info will be stored in control files.If I delete the files externally (not from rman). Will RMAN allow me to take another full backup or will it raise errors.
Also, if it allows and I complete the backup.Will it allow me to restore properly because the control files are still having the info about the previous backup, but that backup is not on disk.
Re: rman backup to disk then to tape [message #178738 is a reply to message #178736] Thu, 22 June 2006 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
if you lose your controlfile, your database cannot be mounted/opened. You need to restore the database (by first restoring the control file) and if it is successfull , take a new backup later.

>>.what is the specific care that has to be taken to manually transfer backup
Just copy them,with tags so that you can understand which backupset means what.
All the rest are answered in the documentation.
Regards
Re: rman backup to disk then to tape [message #178739 is a reply to message #178736] Thu, 22 June 2006 06:58 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
And please search the forum for specific questions.
There are many many examples and scenarious explained and documented.
Like this
http://www.orafaq.com/forum/m/169457/42800/#msg_169457
Previous Topic: How do i use rman for query to sql select statements
Next Topic: Full backup problem in OEM (OMS) using RMAN
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 16:35:38 CDT 2024