Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Which controlfile to use during restore
Which controlfile to use during restore [message #178384] Tue, 20 June 2006 23:03 Go to next message
xadamz23
Hello,

I am trying to figure out which controlfile to use during my restore. Here is my situation:

1. Did a full hot (online) backup on day X. Backup includes all datafiles and controlfile
2. Every 2 hours backup archived redo logs. Also backup controlfile with each of these backups

Lets say I had to rebuild my database from scratch.

I would:

1. restore all datafiles from hot backup that was performed on day X
2. Apply all redo from archived logs backed up.

My question is, which controlfile would I restore? The one taken during the hot backup, or the latest and most recent controlfile from my most recent archived redo backup?
Re: Which controlfile to use during restore [message #178407 is a reply to message #178384] Wed, 21 June 2006 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aciolac
You must to use the most recent controlfile, ideally the controlfile which was used by database during the last time of work. You will be able to restore your database only until the last change(last SCN), which are write in the controlfile. Also if your datafiles have the version(last SCN) upper than last SCN from controlfile, You will have difficulities by restoring database(I don't know precisely, but i think that you will not be able to restore your database). So, You must have the most posssible last version of controlfile and version of datafiles older or equal than controlfile.
Re: Which controlfile to use during restore [message #178551 is a reply to message #178384] Wed, 21 June 2006 08:41 Go to previous message
xadamz23
Thanks aciolac, that answers my question.
Previous Topic: Unable to open tempfile for OUT_PUT
Next Topic: How do i use rman for query to sql select statements
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:32:39 CDT 2024