Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Estimating size of rman backup
Estimating size of rman backup [message #174534] Mon, 29 May 2006 08:13 Go to next message
orausern
Size of my oracle 9.2.0.6 database is 26 gb..out of this , size of used space is 11 gb and rest is free space yet not used.

Now if I go for rman backup, can I estimate that the size of backup set will be approx. 11 gb, since rman does not backup unused blocks? or is there some way to approximate the size of backup before beginning it?

also on my server the total free space is 15 gb, but is divided into 2 different mount points..in one mount point it is 8 gb and on the other one it is 5-6 gb, in that case can I specify 2 different backup locations for the backup?

with thanks,
Re: Estimating size of rman backup [message #175495 is a reply to message #174534] Fri, 02 June 2006 09:02 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>>now if I go for rman backup, can I estimate that the size of backup
No direct method available. Because it depends on blocksize and algorithms RMAN will use to pick the used blocks.
>> in that case can I specify 2 different backup locations for the backup?
Yes you can do it with allocate channel
run
{
allocate channel ch1 type disk format '/u01/.../rman_%d_%t_bpiece1.bak';
allocate channel ch2 type disk format '/u02/.../rman_%d_%t_bpiece2.bak';
backup database plus archivelog;
}

You have ignore the archived logs. You need to backup them too.
Depending on your local retention policy (within disk) you may want to keep some days worth archived logs /backupsets locally ( very usefull for RMAN duplication). So i would be very comfortable if i have more space for backup (Hard disks are the cheapest buy). YOu can also look into using NFS mounts. Just create a large NFS mount say, /backup.
Mount on prod server. write backps to /backup.
You can mount this /backup anywhere and use it for restore / duplication.
Previous Topic: archived log update only
Next Topic: RMAN error ORA 27603
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:09:12 CDT 2024