Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Backup Strategies for DB > 2 TB
Backup Strategies for DB > 2 TB [message #174201] Fri, 26 May 2006 08:02 Go to next message
spanek
Hello,
we have a database which is in fact larger than 2 TB and growing very fast. It is a Oracle 9.2.0.7 Version. The System is HP with Storage XP12000.
We are looking for a Backup Strategy how we could handle this.
Also the recovery time which we had is not so much, while it is a 24*7 Production System.

Do you have some good an bullet proofed tips?
(RMAN, Split mirror, Standby 9.2, etc.)

regards

Re: Backup Strategies for DB > 2 TB [message #174357 is a reply to message #174201] Sun, 28 May 2006 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nmacdannald
Here is what I do.
Each night the operators run a job. We have 5 versions, that is 5 nights of backups at any time. By changing the directory name we move directory 4 to directory 5, directory 3 to directory 4 and so on. Then we build a list of all table spaces in plsql, excluding temporary tablespaces. The job puts the tablespaces, one by one, into and out of backup mode and copies the tablespace to directory 1. Then we switch logfiles and include it in the directory 1, which is our 'destination directory' and backup the controlfile and logfiles as well. Then we compress all the files.
I have all the code for you if you wish. This code is for any unix running any version of Oracle. Let me know if you need the code.

The operator needs to be sure the backup completes because you do not want to leave a tablespace in backup mode any longer that necessary.

Restore is a little tricker. It requires Knowlege of tablespace and archivelog locations. You NEVER want to restore a controlfile unless it is your only option. The controlfile does not know anything that happened after the backup so you lose data.

We run live backups usually after the batch jobs run.

Another option is the export/import mode. I do not use it because of the limitations.

I am glad I have only had to restore 2 times in the last 10 years. Both times we because of a 'user' error. You have to do a 'point in time' recovery.

Good luck and let me know if you need the shell scripts for the backup.
Neil.
Re: Backup Strategies for DB > 2 TB [message #174361 is a reply to message #174357] Sun, 28 May 2006 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
nmacdannald, how big is your database?
Re: Backup Strategies for DB > 2 TB [message #174365 is a reply to message #174361] Sun, 28 May 2006 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spanek
Hi,
the database is > two Tera byte!

reagrds
Re: Backup Strategies for DB > 2 TB [message #174555 is a reply to message #174365] Mon, 29 May 2006 10:26 Go to previous message
ebrian
spanek, these sources may help with your situation:

How Snap Clones,BCV,SRDF are used to implement backup and DR solutions?

Incremental backup off a split mirror image of data files

Advice on Backup Strategy

Making Split Mirror Backups with RMAN

Trying to accomplish a backup on a multi-terabyte database by putting the tablespaces in hot-backup mode and then doing a conventional copy of all the datafiles would be prohibitive. Which solution you choose can be truly dependant on your situation.
Previous Topic: Backup @ Oracle 8i Restore @ Oracle 9i How ?
Next Topic: Where actually oracle table files are stored in Hard disk
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 20:12:12 CDT 2024