Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Backup @ Oracle 8i Restore @ Oracle 9i How ?
Backup @ Oracle 8i Restore @ Oracle 9i How ? [message #173353] Mon, 22 May 2006 01:21 Go to next message
dicxz80

my OS was crashed, i used win2k and Oracle 8i, i've already backup all data files and control file @ oracle\oradata and oracle\admin

then i reinstall my OS using win2k and Oracle 9i i want to restore my database using files above.

how to do that ? i know that is possible but i dont know how to do. could you masters explain to me step be step ?

right now i already have a system with win2k OS and Oracle9i is already installed in it without prestarter database.

thx a lot
Re: Backup @ Oracle 8i Restore @ Oracle 9i How ? [message #173364 is a reply to message #173353] Mon, 22 May 2006 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dicxz80

sorry i mean i want to do recovery not to restore. can anyone help me pls ? FYI i only able to do cold backup using os command to copy all the files, i didn't backup using RMAN
Re: Backup @ Oracle 8i Restore @ Oracle 9i How ? [message #173501 is a reply to message #173353] Mon, 22 May 2006 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
itman73
If I'm understanding the situation correctly ...

If you performed a cold backup, that means your database was shutdown cleanly before the backup, correct?

If it was a clean shutdown, recovery should not be needed.

You should be able to migrate the database to 9i, but you should contact Oracle Support or get the procedure off Metalink. Practice the migration using a copy of production database on a development server until you address all issues and users can verify all is well.

IMO, from a production standpoint, it's a very dangerous practice to not have your current Oracle version installed on the server. What if something goes wrong during the migration process and you run out of time for your migration window? You should have a contingency plan where you restore the database files from backup again, open your database up for use with the original version, reschedule the migration for another time.

Re: Backup @ Oracle 8i Restore @ Oracle 9i How ? [message #173505 is a reply to message #173353] Mon, 22 May 2006 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
itman73
Complete Checklist for Manual Upgrades from 8.x/9.0.1 to Oracle9i. Metalink Note:159657.1
Re: Backup @ Oracle 8i Restore @ Oracle 9i How ? [message #174467 is a reply to message #173353] Mon, 29 May 2006 05:27 Go to previous message
dicxz80

iam still trying but not yet success Sad but thx for the information to have backup plan before migrating. right now i only able to move the database instance to another system but with the same version of oracle
Previous Topic: RMAN implematation
Next Topic: Backup Strategies for DB > 2 TB
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 03:46:58 CDT 2024