Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » multiple instances & load .dmp error
icon4.gif  multiple instances & load .dmp error [message #166965] Mon, 10 April 2006 09:17 Go to next message
dbadude
Hi, I have a simple (I hope) question for all you Oracle DBA's. As my experience is with Microsoft (hold the jabs please), I need to do what in the MS world is called multiple instances of our Oracle 10g server. Our development team would like to have their database available on multiple instances to support the various stages of development. Is Oracle the same as MS SQL in regards to running multiple instances on the same server, or is their a better way to do this ?

-- also, I have a .dmp file from a customer that I need to import/load into our system. Using impdp or imp I get an error that the file may be an original export (um, yeah it is..what difference does that make ?).

thanks in advance !
Re: multiple instances & load .dmp error [message #167038 is a reply to message #166965] Mon, 10 April 2006 23:50 Go to previous message
alexzeng
Of course, Oracle is different from MS sql.
If you want to use multiple instances, I think you need RAC - Real Application Cluster. You need a shared disk, usually disk array. I don't think it's easy for a newbie to deploy a RAC.

Alex zeng|Skype me: hans9zeng
Previous Topic: copying data & database from one machine to another
Next Topic: SYS.DBMS_REPCAT_MIG.POST_IMPORT
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 03:05:43 CDT 2024