Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Disaster recovery on test also changed production
Disaster recovery on test also changed production [message #164611] Fri, 24 March 2006 05:43 Go to next message
patrick
We have Oracle 10.2 and we wanted to test the RMAN Disaster Recovery procedure we had but when the test server became live and we changed something in there the same change happened on our production database.

What we did

ServerA: Make a full RMAN backup with SPFILE and Controlfile

ServerB: (different ip address)
- Install Oracle 10.2
- copied the RMAN backups from serverA an put them in the flash recovery area of serverB
- Started RMAN and did the following
RMAN> SET DBID 676549873; (the same as the production server. Here is where it possibly goes wrong)
RMAN> STARTUP FORCE NOMOUNT;
RMAN> RESTORE SPFILE FROM AUTOBACKUP;
RMAN> STARTUP FORCE NOMOUNT:
RMAN> RESTORE CONTROLFILE FROM AUTOBACKUP;
RMAN> ALTER DATABASE MOUNT:
RMAN> RESTORE DATABASE:
RMAN> RECOVER DATABASE;
RMAN> ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOGS;

After this ServerB was exactly the same as the production server.
When i dropped a table in serverB the same table was dropped on serverA
What is wrong and what did we make? How to solve this in the future from not happening again.

Patrick
Netherlands
Re: Disaster recovery on test also changed production [message #165000 is a reply to message #164611] Tue, 28 March 2006 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alexzeng
It seems that ServerA is a standby database and ServerB is a primary database. Is it?

Alex zeng |Skype me: hans9zeng
Re: Disaster recovery on test also changed production [message #165041 is a reply to message #165000] Tue, 28 March 2006 02:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
patrick
But how is this possible. Don't i have to do some more stuff to realize that then just restore a RMAN backup with the same DBID??
Re: Disaster recovery on test also changed production [message #165225 is a reply to message #165041] Wed, 29 March 2006 00:08 Go to previous message
alexzeng
patrick wrote on Tue, 28 March 2006 02:31

Don't i have to do some more stuff to realize that then just restore a RMAN backup with the same DBID??

Sorry. I don't understand what are you saying.

Alex zeng |Skype me: hans9zeng

Previous Topic: Change based incomplete recovery
Next Topic: RMAN backup error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 11:51:20 CDT 2024