Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » restore subset of database
restore subset of database [message #162368] Thu, 09 March 2006 22:24 Go to next message
chandanbhamra
Hi All,

I want to know if its possible to restore subset of database not whole database like if i have backup of 1 month(say january) and i want to restore data of only 10 days and that of not first 10 days but of in between 10(say 10th to 20th) days.

Is it possible to do this ?

Thanks & Regards
Chandan Singh
Re: restore subset of database [message #162382 is a reply to message #162368] Fri, 10 March 2006 00:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tarundua

Well.. I would say No.
Re: restore subset of database [message #162462 is a reply to message #162368] Fri, 10 March 2006 06:46 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>> not whole database like if i have backup of 1 month(say january) and i want to restore data of only 10 days and that of not first 10 days but of in between 10(say 10th to 20th) days.

Hypothetically speaking,
You have table of 30 rows that went through DML for about a month (10 rows per week).
So now you want to restore any of those 10 rows (with all delta changes) and ignore the rest 20 rows? It is not called restoration. You are using wrong terminology. Please read the documentation. Look into logminer.

>>if its possible to restore subset of database not whole database
Depends on how you define the 'subset of database'.
defintion1: With RMAN you can restore selected tablespaces instead of whole database.
defintion2: POINT-IN-TIME restoration of a whole database. You can restore a database to a particular point in time , say as of
20th of last month.
defintion3: Subset of a table. Do a TSPITR. from there you can get a subset of a table using exp/imp. like export only the MANAGERS from EMP table.

As TarunDua said,
NO. You cannot do TSPITR between two frames.
You can do two seperate clones. One as of 20th. another as of 10th. Then you have to do the deltas.
Else do logminer.
This URL gives a short and clear idea about Logminer.
http://home.clara.net/dwotton/dba/logminer.htm
Quote:

Oracle logminer is a tool which enables you inspect the contents of the Oracle Redo logs. In particular it shows every DML statement (insert, update, delete, etc.) issued against the database, together with the necessary SQL statements for rolling them back. It can be very useful for debugging, auditing, or reversing specified transactions.

Previous Topic: OS Crashed, File System still ok
Next Topic: recover datafile
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:05:28 CDT 2024