Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » clonning a database
clonning a database [message #160042] Wed, 22 February 2006 23:21 Go to next message
kinjal
Hello,

I have one prod server and a test server with different structurs.
my prod database in running in archive log mode and test database is in noarchive log mode.

Now I want to make both of them equel.

How can I clon the database?
Do I need to drop the database on test server and then copy whole the things from prod database or some other way is there?

Can anyone please tell me the steps to clon my database?

Its urgent.
Thanks.
Kinjal

[Updated on: Wed, 22 February 2006 23:37]

Report message to a moderator

Re: clonning a database [message #160060 is a reply to message #160042] Thu, 23 February 2006 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tarundua

I am afraid, you have to drop your test database and copy whole of production to test.

I believe that's the way cloning happens or i should say that's the way i did it.

Look! what Don Burleson is saying here.

http://www.dba-oracle.com/oracle_tips_db_copy.htm

[Updated on: Thu, 23 February 2006 00:44]

Re: clonning a database [message #160227 is a reply to message #160060] Fri, 24 February 2006 00:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kinjal
Hello,

Thanks for this info.

Now I think what i will do is,
I will delete all datafiles, controlfiles, logfiles and init.ora from my test server.

Then I will copy cold backup of my production database to test server.
Now in this case do i need to create controlfile (using alter database backup controlfile to trace) from production database and then copy it to testserver or
do i need to copy all *.dbf, *.ctl and *.log and init.ora to testserver and then try to open the database?

And after copying everything, may i apply archive logs created in prod environment?

What should I do I am not able to understand. Can you please guide me as I am doing this for the first time.

Kinjal

Re: clonning a database [message #160230 is a reply to message #160227] Fri, 24 February 2006 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tarundua

Kinjal,

Its going to be a total new instance so copy everything from production to test as mentioned in the link.

And do take a backup of controlfile using the command ( don't simply copy it) and recreate the controlfile on the test server.

Note: Read the link carefully before implementing.

Re: clonning a database [message #160239 is a reply to message #160230] Fri, 24 February 2006 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kinjal
In this case, Should I create controlfile with first option -noresetlogs option?

and after doing this may I apply archive logs of production database to testserver database?

Kinjal
Re: clonning a database [message #160697 is a reply to message #160042] Tue, 28 February 2006 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alexzeng
Do you close your prod db when you are copying the files?

Recreate controlfile is not needed if it is a cold backup!
Shutdown the prod db and then copy all the files including
controlfile to the same path as prod db and open the database directly.
Re: clonning a database [message #160699 is a reply to message #160697] Tue, 28 February 2006 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kinjal
Yes I will close my prod database. Then will take a cold backup.

Ok so I need to just copy all the *.dbf, *.ctl, *.log files and init.ora file to the same location in test server. And then I can start my instance.
Ok after doing this, can I apply archive logs from prod database to test database if needed?

Kinjal.
Re: clonning a database [message #160725 is a reply to message #160699] Tue, 28 February 2006 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alexzeng
One more thing, you have to create a service by using command oradim if your server is windows. This step don't need on Unix or Linux.

You can apply the archive logs if you didn't do any update on the test db. But if you have done changes on the test db after restore, you cannot apply archived log then. FYI.

[Updated on: Tue, 28 February 2006 03:34]

Re: clonning a database [message #160897 is a reply to message #160725] Wed, 01 March 2006 00:05 Go to previous message
kinjal
Thanks a lot alex.
Previous Topic: RMAN: full backup error after incomplete RECOVERY
Next Topic: rman backup + nfs mount
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 00:20:19 CDT 2024