Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Unable to read from data file
Unable to read from data file [message #156675] Thu, 26 January 2006 23:46 Go to next message
bijayad

Hi,

I am getting from error when I am trying to read from the table.
SQL> select count(*) from SUMMARY_RA;
select count(*) from SUMMARY_RA
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00376: file 13 cannot be read at this time
ORA-01110: data file 13: '/oradb1/oradata/biw/data/biw_tbs03.dbf'

I thing this error is because of some data block corruption in data file. My database is up, but I am unable to read the data.
For this data file (.dbf) we don't have any backup and our database is running in no archieve mode.

Can any one please suggest me how I can recover the data from that data file.

Thanks.
Re: Unable to read from data file [message #156700 is a reply to message #156675] Fri, 27 January 2006 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ujumaka
have u performed a full DB backup before this incident? If yes, then u can restore the file. If no, i don't think u can do much about it. I'll also advise u to change your DB mode to archivelog in case of subsequent issues. Use

sql>shutdown immediate;
sql>startup mount;
sql>alter database archivelog;
sql>alter database open;
Then take a full backup of your database
Re: Unable to read from data file [message #156731 is a reply to message #156700] Fri, 27 January 2006 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bijayad
No, there is no backup. Then how can I recover the tablespace without any backup.
Thanks.
Re: Unable to read from data file [message #156848 is a reply to message #156731] Sat, 28 January 2006 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
madhubabu
u can't recr8 the ts but the datafile. so that b4 drop that one. and issue alter database create datafile '.......' reuse;(the c.f knows the size at the time of that file creation).
and , recover datafile (all this is possible in arch mode).if u don't have this,helpless.
Re: Unable to read from data file [message #158567 is a reply to message #156675] Mon, 13 February 2006 04:15 Go to previous message
salmansh

Have you check to make sure that the file EXIST or has it been deleted by Mistake.
It is always a good practise to run you database in Archive log mode if possibale. Now I am sure you are taking daily backup of you system either cold backup or export dump file.
If you have a cold backup you can restore it but you will lose all the changes since you backed it up.
If it is an export dump file you can recreate the database and import the dump file.

HTH
Previous Topic: please help me!
Next Topic: Changing from archivelog to noarchivelog mode
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:56:38 CDT 2024